Ameraucana Rooster - Personality?

JRCopfer

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2023
Hello! We are newbies but I'm pretty sure we have 5 week old Ameraucana Rooster. I caught it crowing this morning. We purchased our pullet chicks from a hatchery in Ohio. I have 4 children. Can someone tell me if your Ameraucana Roosters are friendly or aggressive? Many Thanks!!

I don't think they are particularly aggressive. I used to have australorps, and that rooster would sometimes come after us with back turned, but my current roo doesn't, he keeps distance, and watches.

That said, he may be easter egger and not a true ameraucana. But everything I have read, he behaves just like that. He is warry, and good with protecting his flock, but he's not out for cuddles.

I also hatched a roo from his line and raised it for 2 months before rehoming, and he was the sweetest bird ever. Very talkative, also very attentive to his little flock. I thought he was acting like a shepherd herding all the silkie hatchlings around.

Pic of my roo uh, sorry, it linked the little guy, the rooster is few pictures in.

Like most roosters, they could be either way. Give him a chance, and without being mean to him, avoid letting him in your personal space. I think it’s best if a cockerel is standoffish. Good luck, keep us updated!

Like most roosters, they could be either way. Give him a chance, and without being mean to him, avoid letting him in your personal space. I think it’s best if a cockerel is standoffish. Good luck, keep us updated!
Sue,
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I have a brooder inside but taking them outside for several hours every day. Next week we are going to transition to the outside coop. He allows me to pick him up to put him in the carrier to go outside. He is not pecking heavily when we feed them blueberries/strawberries or mash via hand. They all have funny personalities!

I don't think they are particularly aggressive. I used to have australorps, and that rooster would sometimes come after us with back turned, but my current roo doesn't, he keeps distance, and watches.

That said, he may be easter egger and not a true ameraucana. But everything I have read, he behaves just like that. He is warry, and good with protecting his flock, but he's not out for cuddles.

I also hatched a roo from his line and raised it for 2 months before rehoming, and he was the sweetest bird ever. Very talkative, also very attentive to his little flock. I thought he was acting like a shepherd herding all the silkie hatchlings around.

Pic of my roo uh, sorry, it linked the little guy, the rooster is few pictures in.
Thanks!
I found green feathers last night on his tail then the crowing this morning. We have a total of 8 hens so I'm hoping he turns out to be nice and is a good protector.
Do you currently have an Ameracauna Rooster? Is the attached pic of the Rooster and Ameraucana? I did get the chicks from a good hatchery.

Thanks!
I found green feathers last night on his tail then the crowing this morning. We have a total of 8 hens so I'm hoping he turns out to be nice and is a good protector.
Do you currently have an Ameracauna Rooster? Is the attached pic of the Rooster and Ameraucana? I did get the chicks from a good hatchery.
Yeah, so the little guy is the son of the big rooster and hen in that album. They are tractor supply ameraucanas, which basically is an easter egger. Her eggs are always blue never green, and the chicks come out white or also had one that kind of a golden color hen.

Sounds like he's friendly enough right now.

Back
Top Bottom