Ameraucana with heterochromia?

Littlebirde

Hatching
Jan 1, 2023
This is Daisy, she is a 6 week old Ameraucana.
She is from Hoover's and has had the mareks vaccination.

I just noticed that her eyes are two different colors. I can see both her pupils and they don't seem to be different sizes, which i hope cancels out the potential of ocular mareks.
One of her eyes is considerably darker, closer to what they both looked when she was younger, while the other is changing to the adult color.
Just curious what everyone thinks? Thanks!

20230524_175953.jpg

You've probably done a fair amount of research on Marek's. It is possible symptoms could show up as young as 6 weeks if it were infected at hatch or immediately after. Coming from a major hatchery it's unlikely it was infected there. It takes a few days for the vaccine to take effect so it might have been exposed after you got it. I think it is highly unlikely that it is Marek's. Since you got them at Hoover's you are in the USA. You might want to contact your county extension office and see what they think, but mainly find out what it takes to get a necropsy if one dies. That's where they cut a dead chicken open to try to determine what killed it. Find out cost, where you need to take it to get it tested, and how you need to preserve the body just in case.

You've probably done a lot of research on heterochromia too. Unless you want to try to get an ophthalmologist to look at her (good luck with that) I'd just wait and see. It's not that unusual for chickens to have different colored eyes so hopefully that is all it but I don't know of anything else practical you can do.

Back
Top Bottom