Ameraucanas: wheaten / BW? - boys or girls? - New updated pics post #9

ArizonaDesertChicks

Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs
15 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Glendale, AZ

************************** New Updated Pics on post #9 *********************

I have 5 Wheaten/Blue Wheaten chicks I hatched from eggs (thanks Mahonri), but am not experienced with this breed and can't tell what is what. I know you can sex the wheatens early, but am not sure if 3 weeks is too early or not. I have W/BW ameraucanas in these pics (6th chick is an easter egger that I accidently picked up instead of the 6th ameraucana - you can ignore that one).

These are the same 6 chicks in every photo (5 ameraucanas - 1 easter egger)

I'm pretty sure #5 is a little roo due to his colorful feathers.
3weeksold011.jpg

EE is top left in this photo:
3weeksold009.jpg

EE bottom chick with dark splash on head:
3weeksold016.jpg

Last edited:
I don't want to be heavy in the roo department. The creamy one had white wings at a few days old, while the others all had grey in their feathers. I thought it might mean that she was a wheaten versus blue wheaten or vice versa (but I really have no idea)

Here's the baby pics:

babychicks016.jpg

This is the light feathered/creamy one:
babychicks005-1.jpg

For what its worth, #1 and #5 look very similar to the Wheaten roo that I got from Mahonri a few weeks ago.

You lucky.

I hatch over20 and only get 5 pullets.

#4 looks like a Blue Wheaten pullet... a couple of weeks and we'll know what all of them are.... and I think your EE is a pullet too!

I only see the one wheaten roo there.. but #1 may be a Blue Wheaten Roo.

Last edited:
Here are all 7 of the ameraucana chicks and feathered out better than before (2 pics of each and numbered to make it easier). Are they old enough to tell yet? Roo was a blue wheaten, hens were blue wheaten and wheaten, so I believe chicks could be wheaten, blue wheaten, or splash wheaten?

I'm hoping for more pullets - I can't keep roos where I live. Besides the sex, can you tell me which color type these chicks are?

I'm pretty sure these 2 are boys because they are so colorful, but don't know whether they are W or BW:
001-4.jpg

002-3.jpg

003-6.jpg

004-5.jpg

#s 5 & 6 look identical:
009-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

014-2.jpg

013-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom