American(Buff, Blue, Lavander,etc.)goose thread! Post pics!

Pics
My buff girl has just started laying her first eggs. I am new to the idea of letting them set. If I take the eggs (which I need to because of the frigid nights), will she still potentially go broody? How many eggs on average will they lay before setting. If she doesnt set now, will she lay more eggs later this spring?

My yearling Buff just went broody last Thursday!!!!!! She started laying probably 3 weeks ago, she laid a egg every other day/every day. I took them and replaced them with ceramic eggs because of the freezing temperatures at night. The first 4 eggs I think we ate and then I started saving them. Since the temperatures are above freezing now I put her eggs back in the nest last week and took out the ceramic ones, I put 6 eggs in and I think she laid another one and then started sitting on them last Thursday!!!!! So with the once I took and 1 or 2 that i didn't see and froze in the beginning I think she laid around 12 eggs.

Here is a picture of her in her nesting house, you can see her butt and the two male standing guard :)

ok my goose has been laying so far the temps have been above freezing. but this Friday and Saturday night are going down to 27 and 30s. what do I do about her eggs she has 8 so far but is not sitting yet. I am not even sure if they are fertile I only saw them mate twice but I am not home all day. I think one of the eggs is a double yolk egg should I take them in the house except the one big egg ? I wish she would start to incubate them would be less worry. Thanks.

ok my goose has been laying so far the temps have been above freezing. but this Friday and Saturday night are going down to 27 and 30s. what do I do about her eggs she has 8 so far but is not sitting yet. I am not even sure if they are fertile I only saw them mate twice but I am not home all day. I think one of the eggs is a double yolk egg should I take them in the house except the one big egg ? I wish she would start to incubate them would be less worry. Thanks.
I believe I'd bring them inside for the days it's going to be below freezing just keep them in the coolest room you have.
Most likely the double yolker won't hatch might as well leave it or eat it. When you bring them in mark them so when you put them back you'll be able to keep track of the older ones while she is till laying.

i am defiantly going to pull her eggs next three nights are going to be cold .won't she miss them ? should I leave one or two in the nest for her I don't want her to give up. I was thinking of taking two eggs and incubating them. I am doing that with a couple of duck eggs I like the challenge . I don't like the weather here it was 80 degrees yesterday now it is dropping by night it will be 30 degrees.

i am defiantly going to pull her eggs next three nights are going to be cold .won't she miss them ? should I leave one or two in the nest for her I don't want her to give up. I was thinking of taking two eggs and incubating them. I am doing that with a couple of duck eggs I like the challenge . I don't like the weather here it was 80 degrees yesterday now it is dropping by night it will be 30 degrees.
Is she brooding I didn't know that, if she is already brooding i wouldn't take the eggs she'll sit tight on them they know by instinct to do that when it's cold. That is a drastic change in temps, suppose to be upper 60's here today then dropping into 20's for 2 nights. and just when we get use to the milder weather.
hmm.png

Hello! I'm looking for fertile American goose eggs. If anyone has any to sell/swap please message me. I have fertile tolbunt eggs and Ancona duck eggs to swap.

Back
Top Bottom