American Gamefowl

A51090F0-6695-46B6-9189-2BF24EBFF4D8.jpeg

It all depends but usually no more than a dozen. I usually give hens between 6-8 depending on how many I want. I generally let them raise the chicks so it’s easier if she has no more than around 8. Either way if you give them eggs separate them so they have their own secluded space or you’ll most likely end up with broken eggs and dead chicks.
I'll give them 10 eggs each(really doubt all of them will hatch anyways,some might be infertile),one of them was a terrible mom last year so I gave the chicks to the other one as they were hatching,one ended up raising 16 chicks herself,I left the other one with 0,she did fine with 16,I'll give the bad mom a 2nd chance,if it doesn't work again,not letting her go broody again and the other one will have to raise 12+ chicks again.

I'll give them 10 eggs each(really doubt all of them will hatch anyways,some might be infertile),one of them was a terrible mom last year so I gave the chicks to the other one as they were hatching,one ended up raising 16 chicks herself,I left the other one with 0,she did fine with 16,I'll give the bad mom a 2nd chance,if it doesn't work again,not letting her go broody again and the other one will have to raise 12+ chicks again.
Are they game hens?

That woodchuck actually chased her. I ran over expecting to see a fox or something. I’m guessing she went after him first when he got to close to her chicks. He wasn’t scared of her in the least.
That's crazy!
I got one around here I see occasionally but it's shy it don't come out very often and it disappears quick. ☺

That's crazy!
I got one around here I see occasionally but it's shy it don't come out very often and it disappears quick. ☺
I see him all the time when I’m feeding and watering the birds. I don’t mess with him at all so he stopped running away a few weeks ago. Lol I usually don’t mess with them at all. Occasionally I’ll catch them in my raccoon snares though. I don’t purposely kill them since their dens are in the woods but I do use the fur for tying flies. Although this particular one didn’t have much to spare.

I’ve caught a ton over the years. Here’s one from 5 min ago. Heard the chain a rattling.
View attachment 2221334
What’s bad is when you hear them rattling chains trying to climb up pens and the roosters just sit there and stare at them. There way to brave here got one climbing on top of a dome pen and rolled him off lol I don’t like killing them but when it comes to the birds it takes one time and it’s game on lol wish I still had my hounds I could tree coons off my deck lmao

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom