Amoxicillin dose

Katsouth

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2023
We have a lethargic young hen (not laying but may have layed 2-4 soft eggs so far). We checked crop, vent, tried to feel stomach. Nothing feels super off except she’s so small compared to the rest. We think she may have a bacterial infection- so sleepy, falling asleep standing up, wouldn’t get off roost today. We’ve isolated, did acv water, she did eat a little food. We do supplement grit and shells.

We have amox from a prior illness in which i was advised to hold off on taking. It’s 875mg and she weighs 2.1lbs. I did the math at 57mg per lb and that’s about 7.5 doses per tablet so we dissolved in water and gave her 2ml = about 116mg.

I’m reading do this twice per day. For how long? How long to isolate?

I’m thinking it’s because she’s underweight compared to others/bottom of pecking order. But she’s the sweetest little thing you ever did meet. Maybe from a gross waterer? We clean weekly or more but they were a bit slimy this time in the water cups.

Would you also do this or is abx a bad choice?

She also has electrolytes in water, and I’ve been giving her a little extra BOSS to supplement. Here she is this AM still asleep on the roost. She’s so sleepy. :(

Also pic of poop she finally had, she had another which was slightly more watery.

Attachments

• IMG_6319.jpeg
    IMG_6319.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7526.jpeg
    IMG_7526.jpeg
    571.4 KB · Views: 3
Give the amoxicillin orally for 7-10 days. Then give some probiotics or a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt for a few days afterward. Since she has had some soft eggs, one might have broken inside, or she could be suffering from salpingitis or infection. Hard to know exactly, so the antibiotic is a good idea. Toss her eggs for 3 weeks after treatment due to the egg residue. Look at her other droppings for any moving white specs, which could be tapeworms. It is probably not that in the picture about. Worming with Valbazen or SafeGuard may help her if she has n’t been wormed recently. If you would have tapeworms, then I will recommend another wormer.

I would leave her with her flock, and make sure that she is not being kept from food or water, and that she is not picked on. A little scrambled egg and some wet chicken feed could be offered to her daily.

Back
Top Bottom