Amoxicillin for treating Clostridium Perfringens - questions

JulieHei

Chirping
Sep 9, 2020
Hello,

My one year old chickens have a bacterial infection called Clostridium Perfringens. My vet gave me Amoxicillin to treat it. Mix with water and give them for seven days. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can give the chickens Probiotics while treating with amoxicillin? Or if the Probiotics will have a negative impact of the antibiotics?
I was also wondering if you know if I could eat the eggs, or/if (and how long) I should throw them away?

You can give a chicken who is on a course of antibiotics, probiotics but it's pretty pointless. Antibiotics will attempt to kill any bacteria, good or bad, so in effect you would be wasting the pro biotic.
A better course of action is to wait until the antibiotic course is finished and then give your chickens pro biotics to help their bacterial balance recover more quickly.

You are likely to get mixed advice on eating the eggs. I wouldn't.

You can give a chicken who is on a course of antibiotics, probiotics but it's pretty pointless. Antibiotics will attempt to kill any bacteria, good or bad, so in effect you would be wasting the pro biotic.
A better course of action is to wait until the antibiotic course is finished and then give your chickens pro biotics to help their bacterial balance recover more quickly.

You are likely to get mixed advice on eating the eggs. I wouldn't.
Great! Thank you for your reply 😊 Do you think I can make scrambled eggs and feed back to the chickens?

In thus case you can let them all enjoy their "AB"-eggs together!
Great! I will 😊 Do you know if some chickens can be allergic to the antibiotics? First day of antibiotics today and I came home to a chicken that was acting off. Just standing still, feathers all puffed up. Not acting like herself at all. Not interested in food or water. She was completely normal yesterday. Should I stop giving her the medicine? 🤔

Back
Top Bottom