Amputated a chicken's leg today

Wow! Most excellent job Ruth! & I watched Dark Shadows too
smile.png

dunno anything about Dark Shadows, but I'll bet you'll have deformed chickens coming to you from all over to "help."

This is the most amazing and wonderful story I've heard! Sweetie is one lucky clucky! Good for you---and I love the idea of house chickens!
smile.png

I never cease to be amazed by you, Monique. I dont believe I could do it unless it was a dire emergency. I've thought about that for Zane. He's still his sweet, cheerful, talkative self and I dont think I have the heart to put him down unless he himself begins to give up. I hope she recovers from this with flying colors.

You did the right thing to help your poor baby. The way she bounced back is wonderful. Sending chicky get well wishes. Thanks for sharing.
love.gif

I don't doubt that chickens feel some pain but I get the feeling after working on some that they aren't wired for pain like we are. I can do alot of poking and proding before they let me know "Hey! I felt that!"

I think I read someone's explanation about research results showing this.

We have a footless chicken. She does fine and lives out with the main flock. Good luck with your girl.

Thanks all for the well wishes. Sweetie is in a separate cage and eating away - making up for lost time - and looking well when I checked on her tonight. She had not been able to get enough food lately because she has stayed wedged between two cages on the coop floor and kept getting caught up in there. At least now the dead, gnarly foot won't be able to get caught in everything.

For all you Dark Shadows fans - do you remember the hand that would get out of its box and crawl around and kill people? I used to be really afraid of that thing. I was young and not supposed to be watching that show but my mom worked and the houskeeper let me and my younger brothers watch it. To this day my younger brother will tell you how I used to scare him every night by calling out "Angeleeeek" - yeah I was mean.

Sweetie sends her regards to all. She is doing well. Today I removed the bandages and the rubber band I had left on yesterday. I cleaned the wound and then sewed up the flap of skin at bottom of leg to cover the cut/bone area. She did great and ate a bunch of scrambled egg and bread out of my hand when I was finished.

The hen I had to sew up the night before is also doing well and her incisions seem to be drying and healing.

By the way, I use the spray-on Furall - a yellow antibacterial spray that works great. It also keeps flies off wounds which is important for outside chickens that are healing. But I find it really helps wounds to dry and heal faster and prevents the other chickens from picking/pecking at it.

Back
Top Bottom