Amrock chicken.

alb123

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2014
Informations of the breed and what's the difference between amrock chickens and barred rock chickens. I am about to hatch some eggs and don't know which one to choose. Any personal experiences or suggestions would be valuable. Thanks in adavance

There is no breed in North America called the "AmRock". This appears to be a utility or mass production version of a bird loosely based on the Barred Rock that is popular in Europe, so it is claimed.

In Europe, you may well have access to the Amrock utility bird. I'm sorry, but having no experience with them there is little by way of help I can give you.

Informations of the breed and what's the difference between amrock chickens and barred rock chickens. I am about to hatch some eggs and don't know which one to choose. Any personal experiences or suggestions would be valuable. Thanks in adavance

Not sure if you ever found answers but here's a link about Amrocks:
https://www.rightpet.com/Livestock-poultryDetail/amrock-chicken

As for Barred Rocks they and Dominiques were once considered the same breed except that around the turn of last century there was some quibbling about whether they should be standardized as SC or RC in the APA. The quibbling groups broke away from each other and the BR group registered as SC and the Dominique group was left to register as RC.

I have had both of these breeds and prefer the Doms over BRs. The BRs in their history have had other breeds like game and Malay crossbred into them to increase their body size to be more dual purpose and their personalities are a bit dominant in a flock and unpredictable ranging from mellow to aggressive whereas the Doms were left to breed naturally like their Colonial history more calm and less combative. Both are good foragers and the BRs are not just good layers but good for sizeable carcasses. The Doms are a bit lighter-weight and will have a tendency to brood their own young and be more economical on the feed bill. It's a gamble on what temperament you get with BRs because of their game bird cross-breeding and what line they come from where Doms have been consistent in their curious outgoing temperament and seem to actually crave human interaction - Doms are a chatty bunch if you talk with them. You'll always know which chick is the Dom in a brooder because as one breeder said - they'll be the chick running up to curiously watch you as you watch them.

Certain breeds developed in the states may be referred to by names relative to where they came from

AmRocks may well be our Plymouth Rock imports elsewhere.

I do know that Delawares are rare in the UK. and other European countries.

alb123 where are you located?

Where and who are you getting eggs from, that they would be referred to by two different names ?

Not sure if you ever found answers but here's a link about Amrocks:
https://www.rightpet.com/Livestock-poultryDetail/amrock-chicken

As for Barred Rocks they and Dominiques were once considered the same breed except that around the turn of last century there was some quibbling about whether they should be standardized as SC or RC in the APA. The quibbling groups broke away from each other and the BR group registered as SC and the Dominique group was left to register as RC.

I have had both of these breeds and prefer the Doms over BRs. The BRs in their history have had other breeds like game and Malay crossbred into them to increase their body size to be more dual purpose and their personalities are a bit dominant in a flock and unpredictable ranging from mellow to aggressive whereas the Doms were left to breed naturally like their Colonial history more calm and less combative. Both are good foragers and the BRs are not just good layers but good for sizeable carcasses. The Doms are a bit lighter-weight and will have a tendency to brood their own young and be more economical on the feed bill. It's a gamble on what temperament you get with BRs because of their game bird cross-breeding and what line they come from where Doms have been consistent in their curious outgoing temperament and seem to actually crave human interaction - Doms are a chatty bunch if you talk with them. You'll always know which chick is the Dom in a brooder because as one breeder said - they'll be the chick running up to curiously watch you as you watch them.
Thank you a lot. I appreciate your answer :))

There is no breed in North America called the "AmRock". This appears to be a utility or mass production version of a bird loosely based on the Barred Rock that is popular in Europe, so it is claimed.

In Europe, you may well have access to the Amrock utility bird. I'm sorry, but having no experience with them there is little by way of help I can give you.
im about to get some amrock eggs these days because I couldnt last year. in Kosovo and germany it is a very popular breed

Certain breeds developed in the states may be referred to by names relative to where they came from

AmRocks may well be our Plymouth Rock imports elsewhere.

I do know that Delawares are rare in the UK. and other European countries.

alb123 where are you located?

Where and who are you getting eggs from, that they would be referred to by two different names ?
hey . I live in Albania. Im getting eggs these days to Kosovo . I saw a man that was selling them on the internet. it is true that delawares are a rare breed in europe . all best.

Back
Top Bottom