Amusement for ducks in winter

My guy and I were just talking about this tonight. Hope you get some good responses, cause I"m interested too!!

My ducks aren't crazy about cabbage (I assume you didn't mean feeding them suet, but using the cages!).

I do like to hang lettuce and other treats, though. I think they have fun pulling out their treats.

I also hang toys up. I get baby, parrot, or dog toys that are durable and don't have any pieces that could come off. My ducks love toys that crinkle, jingle, or are shiny.

Good to know Quackers...I've only had the flock a couple of months and have NO experience with fowl. This is the first go-round, so I thought I'd better check with you all and find out if I needed to do anything ahead of time (so I wouldn't have ticked off ducks with 3ft of snow on the ground!
ep.gif
). Just trying to be proactive...

Good to know Quackers...I've only had the flock a couple of months and have NO experience with fowl. This is the first go-round, so I thought I'd better check with you all and find out if I needed to do anything ahead of time (so I wouldn't have ticked off ducks with 3ft of snow on the ground!
ep.gif
I would still give them some toys. It couldn't hurt.

You can give them added amusement but it's really not necessary. They seem to keep themselves preoccupied most of the time.

ep.gif

Nothing funnier than ducks seeing snow for the first time but honestly, i have never provided toys for my ducks they are all a happy, healthy flock. They enjoy their pools( i break ice for as long as i can so they gain access to them) foraging and the company of others, these after all are ducks when allowed to be as natural as possible they are at their most content.

Quackers - I see in you also have Muscovies...I have a question...do they like to swim in a pool? I've read that they don't necessarily need as much water as other breeds for preening (or something like that). I do have a kiddie pool that I've been filling up for them when they are out to free-range. They haven't really done more than use it to drink from. I don't believe they were ever given a pool (or water source larger than a large rubber dish) from their previous owner (he bought them as babies). Frankly, I don't know if they were ever allowed out of their pen to free range at all. It's funny, they're always the first 2 out of the pen.

I know they're ducks and everything, but will they know what to do? I know it may sound like a strange question, but I had a dog once that I adopted who didn't know how to play (with any toys), he'd just been kept in a pen for breeding and had little interaction with people or other dogs. I get the feeling that these ducks are the same way. I have a tarp in their pen and when decent-sized puddles formed, I expected them to splash around and play...Nope, just drank the water.

Even my goose doesn't do much more then walk through the rubber pan. He's shown little interest in the pool either. He was purchased at the same time as the ducks and raised from a baby by the previous owners.

Back
Top Bottom