An Equilateral Triangle Chicken Run. How-To Help?

Apr 16, 2023
NE Tennessee
I've decided to try a triangle-shaped run, but my brain is not calculating.
I am trying to build an adequate run on a budget.

equilateral triangle prism.PNG

This will be my surest way to ensure I do not fear during our wind storms.
I have so many rocks that I don't think I can secure it to the ground.

It's going to be approximately 8 by 10.
I have 2x6x10 and 2x6x8 boards for the base
and 2x4 boards for the ribs, of which there will be 6 altogether, including the ends.
There will be a 2x4x10 ridge board.

I've been drawing and calculating on paper for several days.
I just need to know how to join it all together at the angles.
I know that I would need 60-degree angles IF I didn't have the ridge board, (30 degrees for each board to equal a 60 degree angle)
but I don't know how to figure the angled cut WITH the ridge board between the two opposite ribs.

I also am not sure how to join the ribs to the baseboard at the bottom.
I'm concerned about my accuracy if I try to notch anything to fit it to the bottom board.

The supplies that I've already purchased to get started:

Box of 3" exterior wood screws
2 - 2x6x10
2 - 2x6x8
3 - 2x4x10
14 - 2x4x8
Chicken wire to enclose it all.

Yes, once this is complete, I will add a door and a coop to the ends.

Angle ties, you can find then in the roofing section at the hardware store, I'd layer 1x2 welded wire fencing to the chicken wire since chicken wired isn't predator proof.

Oh, for Pete's sake, I'm so old school, I never think about metal ties and brackets. I grew up joining wood to wood all by itself.

I'm looking through the Lowes sight for something that will work for 90-degree angles but I don't see anything. I hope I can find one that I can bend to the angle I need.

Oh, for Pete's sake, I'm so old school, I never think about metal ties and brackets. I grew up joining wood to wood all by itself.

I'm looking through the Lowes sight for something that will work for 90-degree angles but I don't see anything. I hope I can find one that I can bend to the angle I need.
I don't have any decent tools or skills so most of my projects are held together with brackets.😅 hurricane ties work for odd angles, very forgiving and bendable.

It sure does. I do have one, but it's buried and a lot of work to drag out. It's been too long since I've had the time and funds to build anything. 🥹 Maybe this year I can clean out my sheds and enjoy doing it again.
I have a stash of walnut, maple, cherry, etc and no time or place to setup and make some dust. Left my jointer & planner in TN. Wish I hadn't of. On day I need to make up some more cutting boards for gifts.

Back
Top Bottom