An external pip before lockdown, what now?

Sseckel

Songster
9 Years
Oct 20, 2013
Southeast, IA
I brought in some eggs to incubate a week ago after gathering them for 2 weeks. I went to candle them for the first time today everything seemed fine until I found one that has an external pip! I stopped candling and quickly added water and sponges to bring up the humidity of the incubator. But I think it's probably too late? Should I open the pip hole enough that it doesn't shrink wrap? Is that even possible? Any helpful advice is welcome.

I should mention that I thoroughly checked the eggs before putting them in the Bator and none were cracked or damaged in anyway. Thinking I just have a sneaky broody?

Seems to be doing well! I did open up the pip and just as I feared the chick was shrink wrapped. So every few hours I had resaturated the membrane and I peeled it bad just enough the expose the beak. Hopefully this doesn't affect the rest of the hatch too much.

Attachments

• IMG_20180708_221236.jpg
    IMG_20180708_221236.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 18
Glad the chick is doing well. A lot of chicks have surprisingly hatched in incubator before lockdown! Did you candle all the eggs? I would to see if some of the others have advanced development as well.

Glad the chick is doing well. A lot of chicks have surprisingly hatched in incubator before lockdown! Did you candle all the eggs? I would to see if some of the others have advanced development as well.

I didn't candle them before I put them in. I usually don't until day 7. I guess I learned my lesson though, lol! I hadn't noticed a hen on them consistently. They all lay in the same box so there is usually a different one in there everytime I go in. Im not always very thorough when i gather them with a hen in the box either. I just grab what I can see. there wasn't anyone in there this last day though so I grabbed the 3 that were there. Temps were hot here though, high 90's for the last two weeks. So I guess it makes sense when I think about it. As soon as this chick is ready for the brooder I will candle the rest.

Back
Top Bottom