An Xray of Hen Laying an Egg

I'm so happy I could share it with everyone here!! This poor hen must've felt humiliated having to lay this egg so badly that it popped out in the middle of the xray! The vet tech caught it in her hand and came out with a nice warm egg for me.

By the way, this hen was my favorite...Ginger, my mille fleur D'uccle "rare breed"...free with my Murray McMurray order! Shortly after this xray, I took her to Purdue University for a necropsy. She was diagnosed with lymphoid leukosis. I lost my entire flock. It was a difficult time for our family.

It pleases me that I am able to pass along something cool from our experience with Ginger!

if that egg had a chick in it...would it have affected the chick like x-rays affect humans when theyre pregnant? or does the shell give some protection?

Thanx for sharing, very cool.
smile.png

I am so amazed and grateful that you shared these x-rays. Unbelievable and that egg is huge! (I'm amazed at the size of bantam eggs even taking in account of the fluff size.) Sorry you lost all your babies, I'm going to look into the condition and see about writing about it in "lay"man's terms.
Thank you so much for this, I too sent a link for my family to see, all were as amazed as I!!!!

It occurred to me this morning, there's probably a poultry science textbook publisher who would pay a nice fee for the right to use those images in one (or more) textbooks. You could make a little extra feed money just for sharing........
big_smile.png

While I was looking at the xray I was wondering why you couldnt see other eggs in the oviduct, like when I butcher we take the insides out and look at ther different stages of egg development, I wonder why you couldnt see the egg that is calcifying for the next lay cycle? or would that not occur until this egg was laid? just curious to know more about how the egg cycle works...

Quote:
The shell doesn't get added until the very end of the cycle. The next egg in line would have no substance to block the xrays.

Adding to this...this was actually her last egg. She was ill and I had her for another couple of weeks until we took her to Purdue University. So I'm not sure if there was really anything else "in line" anyway due to her state of poor health.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom