Ancona behavior..is this chick normal?

TheSitcomGirls

Songster
9 Years
Nov 17, 2010
Introducing Wheezy:

I have never had an Ancona before. I ordered two from Meyer this year. They are so pretty!

When Wheezy was just three days old she hopped out of the brooder (with the door open it's about 4 inches to hop up) and then out onto my lap. Then she snuggled up next to my arm and went to sleep.

Now at just under four weeks Wheezy flies out of the brooder (big dog crate) and up onto my shoulder as soon as I open the cage and sit down. If I bring her with me to the kitchen she flies from my shoulder to the floor and then has a nice walk around. She also seems to enjoy flying from my shoulder back into the brooder and scattering the rest of the peeps all over the place! She did it three times in a row yesterday before I finally put a stop to it!

Florence (my other Ancona peep) is also quite friendly. She will hop out on her own and come and sit with me, but not like Wheezy! I have never had a peep who was this ridiculously tame.

Are all Ancona's this friendly and flyers at such young ages? I have no idea how I'm going to keep her confined!

Quote:
Flyers, yes. Friendly, depends. I have a cockerel named "Typo" that thanks to an incubator misfire, was the only survivor of a clutch. He was brooded alone for the first two weeks until more eggs hatched. Because he was lonely, and I am pathetically easy to amuse, he spent alot of time sitting on my shoulder, riding in my pocket and "helping" me type at the keyboard. (hence, the name) He still follows me around the yard like a puppy, and when it was cold, would run up and try to sit on my feet, trying to huddle. Flighty reputation aside, like any animal, they can be very personable if you let them.

Why is her name Wheezy?

So it sounds like she is perfectly normal!

I named all the birds of the same breeds with female names from sitcoms....I have Lucy and Ethel, Laverne and Shirley, ...etc!!! She is Wheezy (Mrs. Jefferson from the Jeffersons) and her friend is Florence (the maid!).
big_smile.png
Just in case I have trouble telling them apart....the names are interchangable!

I will let Wheezy keep being friendly as long as she doesn't follow me into the house!

Back
Top Bottom