Ancona genetics question

Nekopan

Songster
5 Years
Feb 23, 2019
I’m a beginner to duck genetics. I tried the calculator but I wasn’t sure if I had the right settings for Ancona.

I have a beautiful batch of eggs in the incubator right now. They come from a blue Ancona drake over a black hen (lays white eggs) and chocolate and lilac hens (lay blue eggs).

So my understanding is that the white eggs will hatch out either blue or black ducklings, 50/50 chance.

The eggs laid by the chocolate duck will also hatch 50/50 black or blue, unless the drake carries chocolate, in which case chocolate and lavender are possible (equal chance for all colours).

The eggs laid by the lilac duck should hatch blue or silver/splash ducklings, unless the drake carries chocolate, and then I’d get blue, lavender, silver, or lilac.

Unless the lilac duck is actually lavender, then I’d get blue, black, silver (50/25/25) or that plus chocolate, lilac, or lavender…

:barnie

Is that all correct?

This is what you can get from all colors with either a blue drake or a blue drake split to chocolate.
1000001618.jpg

1000001619.jpg

With the chocolate gene in either a hen or the drake or both, you have lot of possible duckling colors!

This is one of my lavender hens vs my lilac. Lilac almost looks buff, with a caramel tone.
1000000553.jpg

1000000536.jpg

Attachments

• 1000000536.jpg
    1000000536.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 1
I’m a beginner to duck genetics. I tried the calculator but I wasn’t sure if I had the right settings for Ancona.

I have a beautiful batch of eggs in the incubator right now. They come from a blue Ancona drake over a black hen (lays white eggs) and chocolate and lilac hens (lay blue eggs).

So my understanding is that the white eggs will hatch out either blue or black ducklings, 50/50 chance.

The eggs laid by the chocolate duck will also hatch 50/50 black or blue, unless the drake carries chocolate, in which case chocolate and lavender are possible (equal chance for all colours).

The eggs laid by the lilac duck should hatch blue or silver/splash ducklings, unless the drake carries chocolate, and then I’d get blue, lavender, silver, or lilac.

Unless the lilac duck is actually lavender, then I’d get blue, black, silver (50/25/25) or that plus chocolate, lilac, or lavender…

:barnie

Is that all correct?

Yes, well done!

This is what you can get from all colors with either a blue drake or a blue drake split to chocolate.
View attachment 3779351
View attachment 3779350
With the chocolate gene in either a hen or the drake or both, you have lot of possible duckling colors!

This is one of my lavender hens vs my lilac. Lilac almost looks buff, with a caramel tone.
Here are the best pictures I have. The duck in question is in the front:

IMG_5863.jpeg

IMG_5864.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom