Anconas

Momma Hen

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Missouri
I've posted this on the other board awhile back but thought I'd see if I could get more replies on this one. Who raises them, what's been your experience? I'd love to see pics if you have them.

what kind of chickens are "Ida" in the top picture, and the brown hen in the bottom picture? They are really pretty.

molly

They're a colorful, busy breed that lays well, white or slightly cream eggs. I think they're quite decorative on green grass. As far as personality, mine aren't especially friendly, except for one cockerel "Typo" who was the sole survivor of an incubator mishap and, because he was lonely, (mostly because I was bored) imprinted on me and was handled more than usual. But they are Italians, and they crow and cackle all day long. I call it "Chicken Opera". If given half a chance, they'll try to roost in trees; they fly rather well for a chicken, and, even if they don't go broody, they like to hide eggs.

True story; years ago, I found a broken egg by the back porch, and just assumed my young daughters had dropped it. later that day, there was another, and a couple of days later, two more. So I called the girls, showed them the mess and reminded them they needed to be more careful when gathering eggs. They all denied having dropped the eggs, and I was trying to impress on them that no one was in trouble but that they needed to be honest. They still all denied having dropped the eggs. I was getting irritated with the casual lying and was about to launch into my "honesty is the best policy lecture", when an egg ROLLED OFF THE ROOF and landed at our feet.

Huh.

So we get a ladder, climb up and see that the gutter is full of eggs because those Anconas have been flying up on the roof to lay in a niche by a stove pipe created by a piece of bent flashing. The niche was very shallow, and the eggs were rolling out and into the gutter which was so full it was about to pull off the house. In fact, when I tried to carefully remove them, I accidentally leaned on the gutter for support and it finally came loose at one end. The eggs rolled down the gutter like an assembly line and smashed on the sidewalk; blat, blat, blat, blat, blat, blat, blat, blat. My daughter told me that was one of her favorite memories growing up.

Last edited:
Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

My anconas aer not laying yet. But I don't have gutters. Oh, come to think of it, the eggs here in AZ will probably be hard boiled by the time they get off the hot roof
lau.gif
gig.gif

HELP!!!i have two month old ancona chicks.Its my first time with this breed and they........hate.......me.Every time i come near there cage they're all like a giant hand is coming!run!flap!RUN AWAY!!!!!!!The world is ending
barnie.gif
ep.gif
!AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!really.Did i do something wrong or do a couple birds hate my guts????
idunno.gif

VCspeckled hens - bring them a treat (like sunflower seeds) every time you come for awhile and I bet you can get them to be calmer....

buffalogal - I have not had the same experience with Anconas - They were the first chickens I got (have since acquired a little of everything) and my Anconas are some of the smartest birds I own. They are the first to come when I call - they don't hang around for attention but they come quick for food. Mine always go to the coop no problem and are the most matter of fact about laying - never go broody and always lay in the box - and still lay well even tho they are my oldest chickens. Now my silver spangled hamburgs... they are always looking for someplace to make a stash for eggs lol.... including high shelves in sheds (but never gutters!
lol.png
)

Back
Top Bottom