And yet another newbie

Right On Reds

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Hello Fellow Feather Fans!!

I'm writing to you from one of the boros of NYC. Waiting for my new coop to arrive, watching my two hens graze in the backyard.

Always wanted chickens, had a hen when I was kid. Got an urge, went to a nearby horse auction, picked up two adult red hens which I imagine are probably R.I. Red/New Hampshire crosses.

This is the coop I ordered which will be here by Tuesday. I thought the price was great. Until I get the coop, I emptied and converted my Rubbermaid Shed into a secure house area which I lock up at night. The floor is covered with grassy hay.

http://www.wholesalechickencoops.com/hss09 chicken coop.html

I have no idea how old the hens are, and one seems to be molting, the other not. Have had them in my shed at night, all snuggly with some nice grassy hay and one already laid an egg, albeit a broken thin shelled one.

Went to a few feed stores (as a horse owner who keeps her horse in NJ all this stuff is easily accessed) and I picked up some pine shavings, grassy hay, Purina layer pellets, oyster shells, grain scratch, seed block, round water thingee, feed pan, terramycin (sp?), and grit. We've also tossed some table scraps and they seem to like the watermelon a lot!

My property is small being in NYC and measures 40' x 100'. The backyard/sideyards where they can surf the lawn is 400 square feet approximately not counting the gardening beds which have small fences. The entire back/side yards are secured with six foot fences set so that even my tiny min-pin can't escape.

I grow veggies, tomatoes, peppers, basil, oregano, parsley etc. and have a arbor/2 yrs old grapevine on the other side of the house. The backyard is mostly shady, the lawn is nice, and I haven't used any chemicals on it like fertilizer since the spring, and even that was organic.

My dogs and cats seem fine with the hens, though I'm watching and they are seperated by an additional fence which bisects the lawn from the patio area........ this I did to keep said dogs from crapping on said grass.

I added the antiobiotic to their water today, which they readily drank.

The hens are doing a light scratch to the lawn, which is perfect for me to seed. Bought some grass seed at Agway which seems to be organic/chemical free.

Am I on the right path or am I missing something?

I'm hoping to learn a bunch on this website, already have learned many helpful things and look forward to becoming one of "the community".

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from Washington

Sounds like you've already been reading a lot.

Imp

Yeah, well as a horse owner I see too often what happens when newbies don't know what they're doing and they get a horse. I imagine the same happens with chickens and I want to be a good newbie and not a bad one!!

I'm thinking of going back to the auction on Wednesday night and picking up one more red hen. Then I'll put her into the closed shed at night so that hopefully the other two will accept her more readily............ at least that's what I read is a good thing to do. Is it?

Right now my husband (who told me not to get them) is playing with his favorite hen, Steve. He has fallen in love with them!!!

The coop looks perfect for two hens. Why did you give them antibiotics? Antibiotics should not be used unless there is a susceptible infection present (stated gently, not scolding!) If they have the run of the yard, I don't know how long that grass will last. Did they eat the grass seed yet?
big_smile.png
It certainly looks like you're on the right path. Just remember if you feed lots of scratch or scraps, you may need to supplement with something higher in protein.

The chicken folks at the auction advised me to do so as I didn't know where the hens were from or anything of their history.

Back
Top Bottom