Angel Wing American Buff

HollyOakFarm

Songster
May 3, 2021
Canby Oregon
Hey all,
I've had geese for a bit, but these are my 1st goslings. Approx 5 week old American Buff. Siblings look normal, but just in the past 24 hrs, this goslings wing tips have started coming out at an odd angle. If it is angel wings, do I splint? How do I splint? Do I need an avian vet? Also, causes? They get a duck pellet and free access to (rich currently) green pasture. Lots of activity. I'm concerned.

20220502_174517.jpg
20220502_174508.jpg

Yes, that is 100% angel wing. @Goosebaby gave you a helpful video to watch.
1650376293246.png

Most of the time angel wing is caused by an nutritional deficiency in vitamins and minerals. It can also be that the wings grew to fast, without an improper diet being a problem. Since you've caught it early on it'll be easier to cure then if you noticed it later. If it's not cured it will become permanent.

Yes, that is 100% angel wing. @Goosebaby gave you a helpful video to watch.
1650376293246.png

Most of the time angel wing is caused by an nutritional deficiency in vitamins and minerals. It can also be that the wings grew to fast, without an improper diet being a problem. Since you've caught it early on it'll be easier to cure then if you noticed it later. If it's not cured it will become permanent.
Thank you! I was so afraid of them getting angel wing and have been watching them like a hawk (pardon the choice of words). I thought it was niacin deficiency that caused it, and made sure they had plenty in their feed..... I also didn't think it was fixable once it occurred. I'm glad to know that there is somethingi can do, and thankful for this group. These goslings are growing reaaaally fast, but having never raised goslings from hatching, I don't know if it's unusually fast.

Thank you! I was so afraid of them getting angel wing and have beenwatchingthem like a hawk. I thought it was niacin deficiency that caused it, and made sure they had plenty in their feed..... I also didn't think it was fixable once it occurred. I'm glad to know that there is somethingi can do, and thankful for this group. These goslings are growing reaaaally fast, but having never raised goslings from hatching, I don't know if it's unusually fast.
Niacin deficiency effects their legs and feet most of the time.

Waterfowl grow incredibly fast. It should only take about a week for the angel wing to cure. Let us know how it goes!

The cause of angel wing has been long debated, some say that it is caused by too much carbs and protein, others say it is genetics.

In my opinion it’s both, some are more prone because of their genes than others. I’ve only had it occur in one of my geese “Tuesday.” she is a very small goose, a cross between a classic Roman and Toulouse, her siblings are all Toulouse and Toulouse x Buff, all of which ate the same feed as her but were naturally larger and didn’t come down with angel wing.
For little Tuesday the high protein was just a bit too much for what her little body needed.

What is actually occurring to cause angel wing is that the developing feather shafts are filled with blood and because the gosling is still young and growing sometimes they just haven’t developed the bone structure and muscle to support the sudden extra weight which causes the wrist bones to begin twisting under the weight, without correction the twist will become permanent.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom