Mazuri Waterfowl Starter - How long before switching to maintenance?

quaxton

In the Brooder
May 12, 2021
I am raising two American Buff goslings that are about 1.5 weeks old and I currently have them on Mazuri waterfowl starter.
How many weeks do I feed them the starter before switching to a maintenance feed with lower protein?

The book that I am referencing The Ultimate Pet Goose Guidebook by K. Link suggests 7 weeks. But I have also seen others post here saying they switch at 3-4 weeks.
This is my first time raising goslings and I want to avoid problems like angel wing.

Thanks

I usually drop the protein to 16% as soon as I start to see feathers growing in on their wings, around three or four weeks old. The only times I've had trouble with angel's wing is when they are around four or five weeks old. It can happen even if you drop the protein, but luckily it's really easy to fix as long as they're still growing.

This is my first time raising geese, but I only kept them on the Mazuri starter for 2 weeks then switched to Purina Flock raiser. They are now around 5 weeks old and they get Tucker Milling Show Flock Developer Mini Pellets. They don’t really seem to eat much food now that they have been out on pasture. They prefer grass over any bagged feed.

Back
Top Bottom