Angel Wing in a 5 yr old goose

stano40

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Southern Maine
I just picked up a flock of 8 Toulouse Geese. One of them has angel wing of which I was told she was only 5 or 6 years old.

I know angel wing is better to correct as a gosling but can an older goose be corrected of angel wing?

I looked on a site that described how to correct angel wing but I would like to hear from anyone who has had this problem in an older goose, what they did and the results would be helpful. to me.

The best tape to use is one inch waterproof medical tape because it is easier to remove. There are two ways to tape the wing. Some people tape the end of the wing, the part sticking out, to the the middle of the wing. Make sure the wing is in its natural position before taping. The other way, which is recommended, is to place the Angel wing in its normal position, and wrap the tape around the body. This keeps the tape, and wing in place better.

Leave the tape on for at least four or five days. To remove the tape put the duck or geese in water to loosen it up, if you wrapped the tape around the body you should cut the tape along the top and bottom first. Once you remove the tape the wing should be fine, but if not you can try the tapping again. Angel wing in ducks and geese is common, the causes vary, but these treatments are great for mending that sagging wing.

What about using a vet wrap?

Thank You,

bob

Last edited:
It isn't correctable in a older goose the joint has developed wrong and is now set that way. I just clip any feathers that might be giving it trouble (often they will snag on fences or other things) every time they molt they need to be clipped. Don't pull them, they will just grow back faster.

Quote:
x2
One of my Call ducks had angel wing when I bought her but she was too old so I could not fix it. But I noticed that the other Calls picked at the feathers as they stuck out so I cut them as close as I could. She seems to be fin now since the feathers aren't long and the other ducks don’t noticed it as much when it is sort.

Quote:

Pete
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom