Angel Wing

So, just in case anyone is interested...I finally got his wing wrapped! He did very well while I got it done, not too traumatized. Now, whether or not it will work remains to be seen. I will keep you posted :)

This is the first time raising geese for me and My 7 week old male gosling had angel wings on both sides. I researched it like crazy, said a prayer and after a few scratches it was done. I tucked the angel wings back in place under the good part of his wings and wrapped the vet tape completely around him tight but not too tight (I could fit two fingers under it) and left it on him for six days. After I removed it this past Saturday he was completely fixed, I was so happy I went out and purchased him a new pink swimming pool. Ms. Kaye and Phil swam all weekend and I was so happy that Phil was able to get his wings fixed and I felt pretty happy with myself that I was able to do it. So I hope this has given you some hope and let me know how it goes.
fl.gif

thumbsup.gif
Nice! I am happy it worked out for you. Mine keeps working at the wrapping until he eventually gets it off . He is a couple of weeks older now and I am so aggravated with it so much so that I don't know if I should even bother! If I do, I may have to do the body wrap b/c wrapping just the wing isn't working. The female even helps him pick at it...go figure-lol.

This is the first time raising geese for me and My 7 week old male gosling had angel wings on both sides. I researched it like crazy, said a prayer and after a few scratches it was done. I tucked the angel wings back in place under the good part of his wings and wrapped the vet tape completely around him tight but not too tight (I could fit two fingers under it) and left it on him for six days. After I removed it this past Saturday he was completely fixed, I was so happy I went out and purchased him a new pink swimming pool. Ms. Kaye and Phil swam all weekend and I was so happy that Phil was able to get his wings fixed and I felt pretty happy with myself that I was able to do it. So I hope this has given you some hope and let me know how it goes.
fl.gif
That´s great. Just keep an eye on it that it doesn´t start to twist again. Just an eye on it, that´s all.
thumbsup.gif
Nice! I am happy it worked out for you. Mine keeps working at the wrapping until he eventually gets it off . He is a couple of weeks older now and I am so aggravated with it so much so that I don't know if I should even bother! If I do, I may have to do the body wrap b/c wrapping just the wing isn't working. The female even helps him pick at it...go figure-lol.
They´re just pickers! Has he had it on for a couple of weeks then? I didn´t think he had. If it´s less than a week, it´s worth persevering with, inspite of their efforts to undo it all. Just keep putting it back on until the week is up, and see how he is.

That´s great. Just keep an eye on it that it doesn´t start to twist again. Just an eye on it, that´s all.
They´re just pickers! Has he had it on for a couple of weeks then? I didn´t think he had. If it´s less than a week, it´s worth persevering with, inspite of their efforts to undo it all. Just keep putting it back on until the week is up, and see how he is.
you could always try this..
LL
it actually worked.

Last edited:

Thank You all for the replies :)  
I did go out this morning after reading a little more last night and looked at his wing.  I tried to tuck it, see how to wrap it, and test his aggressiveness while I messed with it.  Good news is he is fairly tame and didn't mind too much what I was doing but, bad news is later as I tried to wrap it he wasn't having it!  So, 3 tries, a few bites and a scratch or two later...still not wrapped!
He didn't try to hurt or attack me, which is good, but I was mostly worried I would traumatize him too much the more I messed with him.  I guess I will try again another time.  
As I was looking at his other wing and comparing them with the female, I wonder if the other wing isn't showing the same sign.  It isn't flipped out but it does droop a little rather than tucking up under the big part of the wing....my poor baby.  They are both so beautiful that I hate to just leave his wing that way without trying to wrap it for a short time and see what happens!

Well it may betoo late anyway.  The way I wrapped my goslings is I had them on my knee, facing to my left side, head stuck out to my left, and did the wing.  Most times it´s just the one wing, interestingly.  Another thing is sometimes wings can droop due to early development, which is due to too much good food.  that can be checked by cutting back on the protein.  They need loads of grass, not so much processed feed.  Just wrap both wings for a bit, this will support the weight, but the angel wing may not stay put now.  If it doesn´t, you can just clip the feathers so it doesn´t become too much of a nuisance.

I had 4 chicks do the droopy wing thing recently (about a month ago) It wasn't due to the food being too protein rich - it was due to it being too cold for the chicks and they grew feathers really quickly to help keep them warm (even though they were with the hen) - its the wrong time of year for chicks here! They actually sacrificed size for feather development and are about half the size they would be at the same age if hatched in the warmer months. I figure they will catch up eventually provided they have enough food so that they don't get stunted.

Back
Top Bottom