Angel Wing

you could always try this..
LL
it actually worked.

Is that pantyhose?

Is that pantyhose?
Yes it is. I currently have 3 older ducklings that I was given that developed angel wing. I tried wrapping. And tried re-wrapping. And also tried re-re-wrapping. Currently I have them in the pantyhose legs. That seems to be holding so far. Just make sure that the wing is in the right position before sliding it over them if you ever need to do this. I had a large pair and a small pair given to me for this and the large didn't work. They managed to wiggle out. Smaller size of hose is still loose enough to be safe but will hold better it looks like for my 7 week old ducklings. A gosling or goose would need a larger size so having a few different sizes in the med kit for this might not be a bad thing if you see angel wing. Personally I won't be breeding these ducklings. I have no faith in their genetics after seeing this.

Yes it is. I currently have 3 older ducklings that I was given that developed angel wing. I tried wrapping. And tried re-wrapping. And also tried re-re-wrapping. Currently I have them in the pantyhose legs. That seems to be holding so far. Just make sure that the wing is in the right position before sliding it over them if you ever need to do this. I had a large pair and a small pair given to me for this and the large didn't work. They managed to wiggle out. Smaller size of hose is still loose enough to be safe but will hold better it looks like for my 7 week old ducklings. A gosling or goose would need a larger size so having a few different sizes in the med kit for this might not be a bad thing if you see angel wing. Personally I won't be breeding these ducklings. I have no faith in their genetics after seeing this.

Thank you for the information. I've never seen or dealt with angel wing before. We had four ducks in the past but none of them had a problem. Hopefully it won't be an issue for my baby geese as they get older, but if I do, now I know a good way to fix it. :)

Well the pantyhose seems to be working as the wings are not as bad as they were a couple of days ago but my 3 little...um darlings, have managed to get out of them a few times now. I keep putting the pantyhose back on . This is way easier then the bandaging. Grab duckling, take scrunched up hose and stick head in, pull down part way, fix wings in correct position, pull hose down the rest of the way. Done till next time they get it off. I won't be using these ones for breeding like I said but I do think its a good idea to have knowledge of the methods for dealing with potential problems like this. I feel strongly about having animals means taking care of issues even if its a hassle and I have been surprised just how hard it has been to keep something on these little ducks. But then again I have never seen angel wing before these little ducklings were given to me. I am not fond of genetic issues that cause problems like this. Even with the extra time and effort I don't want to see them with the airplane wings. I would worry about injuries to the wings all the time. If I can fix this I will feel much better knowing they are not going to get caught in something or bitten on those tips.

Well the pantyhose seems to be working as the wings are not as bad as they were a couple of days ago but my 3 little...um darlings, have managed to get out of them a few times now. I keep putting the pantyhose back on . This is way easier then the bandaging. Grab duckling, take scrunched up hose and stick head in, pull down part way, fix wings in correct position, pull hose down the rest of the way. Done till next time they get it off. I won't be using these ones for breeding like I said but I do think its a good idea to have knowledge of the methods for dealing with potential problems like this. I feel strongly about having animals means taking care of issues even if its a hassle and I have been surprised just how hard it has been to keep something on these little ducks. But then again I have never seen angel wing before these little ducklings were given to me. I am not fond of genetic issues that cause problems like this. Even with the extra time and effort I don't want to see them with the airplane wings. I would worry about injuries to the wings all the time. If I can fix this I will feel much better knowing they are not going to get caught in something or bitten on those tips.
Looking forward to seeing end result. It's amazing what they can do with out any arms isn't it? lol

Quote: I'm interested in the articles... but can't find your website. I have Muscovys, about 10 weeks old. Out of 11, 3-4 are showing signs of Angel Wing. It may be the diet. I feed cracked corn (5 grain type) and some Layena. About 2/3 cracked corn and 1/3 Layena. They free range over an acre... plenty of green grass and weeds for them. Maybe there is too much Layena in the diet..... could that be? These are going to a processing plant soon so I'm not overly concerned about their wings. But... I would like that not to happen if I could help by changing their diet.

I'm interested in the articles... but can't find your website. I have Muscovys, about 10 weeks old. Out of 11, 3-4 are showing signs of Angel Wing. It may be the diet. I feed cracked corn (5 grain type) and some Layena. About 2/3 cracked corn and 1/3 Layena. They free range over an acre... plenty of green grass and weeds for them. Maybe there is too much Layena in the diet..... could that be? These are going to a processing plant soon so I'm not overly concerned about their wings. But... I would like that not to happen if I could help by changing their diet.
Hi Kymarose, if you got to Cottage Rose´s post, click on her profile, then scroll down to the bottom of the page, you´ll find her site, just click on it.
Just for the record, I´ve raised loads of muscovies free-range, feeding them cracked corn as a top-up and treat, and never had angel wing in them.

Is angel wing necessarily a bad thing for birds raised for food to have? I friend mentioned it to me after I told him I have been giving my free range muscovy ducks crackers to get them used to being around me. I don't want them to migrate in the winter and plan to put the ones I don't eat in a coop for the winter. I was thinking about clipping flight feathers come fall, but if any of them develp angel wing, their wings won't have to be clipped. Seems like a winning situation for me if it doesn't hurt the birds or affect the meat, right?

Is angel wing necessarily a bad thing for birds raised for food to have? I friend mentioned it to me after I told him I have been giving my free range muscovy ducks crackers to get them used to being around me. I don't want them to migrate in the winter and plan to put the ones I don't eat in a coop for the winter. I was thinking about clipping flight feathers come fall, but if any of them develp angel wing, their wings won't have to be clipped. Seems like a winning situation for me if it doesn't hurt the birds or affect the meat, right?
It does not hurt the birds or affect the meat but it can cause them to catch their wings on things which could hurt them, and is not an excuse for not feeding them properly. Good nutrition is very important not only for the birds but for any one who eats said birds eventually. PS not harping at you just stating facts.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom