Angry rooster HELPPPPP

mummyof4

Chirping
Mar 16, 2016
We have a pretty dominant angry rooster, he’s still young (approx 8weeks), he’s the only rooster in a flock with 5 hens. Whenever we enter the run to open the coop he chases and attacks us & he has definitely left his mark. His bite HURTS.
Feeding and watering is almost becoming impossible and takes 3 of us just to get it done.
We’ve not been able to enter the coop at all, as soon as we go near that end of the run he runs in the coop waiting for us.
We walk near the run and he’s inside following and jumping at the fence.

He’s not top dog, one of the hens is and although he tries to put her in her place he is always the one to back down.

Any advice?

I think it's easier to curb the behavior now.

I would not let him out of the coop with the others for a few days. He can see them but no interaction. Then I would start carrying him around. Put him down, if he is calm good, if not puck him back up and try again.

We have a pretty dominant angry rooster, he’s still young (approx 8weeks), he’s the only rooster in a flock with 5 hens.
At 8 weeks you have pullets and a cockerel.
Assuming the females are the same age.

Whenever we enter the run to open the coop he chases and attacks us & he has definitely left his mark. His bite HURTS.
Feeding and watering is almost becoming impossible and takes 3 of us just to get it done.
We’ve not been able to enter the coop at all, as soon as we go near that end of the run he runs in the coop waiting for us.
This is unacceptable. You've allowed him to be dominant to you, you have to have the right attitude to keep male birds. I'da been pecking him back and holding him down on the ground until he submits the first time he tried that crap. That might have worked, not sure it still will. At this point I'd take him off the roost at night, if you can't get ahold of him when he attacks, and put him in a crate for a week or so. That might calm him down.

Is this your first flock @mummyof4 ?

Crock pot. He's only 8 weeks, he'll still be tender.
Young enough to grill ;)
would wait until he's about 12-14 weeks tho for a tad more meat.

That much aggression at such a young age, I honestly dont not see "training" him being overly successful. I mean it might work if your on top of it 24/7. But personally i would try to find a more relaxed roo and cook the aggressive young one.

At 8 weeks you have pullets and a cockerel.
Assuming the females are the same age.

This is unacceptable. You've allowed him to be dominant to you, you have to have the right attitude to keep male birds. I'da been pecking him back and holding him down on the ground until he submits the first time he tried that crap. That might have worked, not sure it still will. At this point I'd take him off the roost at night, if you can't get ahold of him when he attacks, and put him in a crate for a week or so. That might calm him down.

Is this your first flock @mummyof4 ?

Young enough to grill ;)
would wait until he's about 12-14 weeks tho for a tad more meat.

2 of the girls are 8 weeks,
2 are around 14 weeks
And 2 are older (unsure of age but they are big)

Yes they are our first flock.
The girls are all very friendly and happy to sit on our laps.

2 of the girls are 8 weeks,
2 are around 14 weeks
And 2 are older (unsure of age but they are big)

Yes they are our first flock.
The girls are all very friendly and happy to sit on our laps.
Guessing from your name, mummyof4, I assume you have kids? It really isn't safe at all to keep an aggressive cockerel around children.

That much aggression at such a young age, I honestly dont not see "training" him being overly successful. I mean it might work if your on top of it 24/7. But personally i would try to find a more relaxed roo and cook the aggressive young one.

We have another roo in the brooder but he won’t be ready to join the flock for a good few weeks.

We never planned on keeping roosters we just took what hatched.
We hatched 7 girls and 2 boys so got an ok deal.

Back
Top Bottom