Angry Rooster

Lunie

Chirping
Oct 4, 2022
I have a rooster and he is about a year old. When he was younger he use to be mean but he had stopped after a while. But for some reason in the past month or so he has became VERY aggressive. He will try and peck me when I'm doing their water and now sometimes just walking near the coop he will spur me. The hens will usually come up to me if they think I have food and just now that had happened and he spurred me through my boot and put a hole in me. I wasn't near the coop at all. Any way to fix his behavior? I don't want to get rid of him but we might have to since I'm the primary caretaker for these chickens. We do only have 4 hens so maybe we need more girls for him but my dad doesn't want any more. They also have free range of the yard and im thinking of making them a pen area for them that isnt their run.

I have a rooster and he is about a year old. When he was younger he use to be mean but he had stopped after a while. But for some reason in the past month or so he has became VERY aggressive. He will try and peck me when I'm doing their water and now sometimes just walking near the coop he will spur me. The hens will usually come up to me if they think I have food and just now that had happened and he spurred me through my boot and put a hole in me. I wasn't near the coop at all. Any way to fix his behavior? I don't want to get rid of him but we might have to since I'm the primary caretaker for these chickens. We do only have 4 hens so maybe we need more girls for him but my dad doesn't want any more. They also have free range of the yard and im thinking of making them a pen area for them that isnt their run.
I know people are about to say kill him, but I don’t agree with that practice at all, so I strongly suggest sitting and spending time near the coop, that helped me. And if he attacks you, grab him and put him on his back for a few seconds. You can file hos spurs too

I would cull.
Either by killing, or by rehoming with full discloser.
I know no one likes getting rid of an animal that one has cared for, partially if you were expecting to be able to keep him for a long time.
But the reality is even if you could 'fix' his behaver for the moment, you will never be able to trust him.
Having to watch your back all the time isn't a nice feeling, and a rooster can to real damage.
Is there any way at all that a child could get in with him? If there is, the decision is a no brainer.
And there is so many really nice roosters out there, that are a joy to have around, being killed just because no one wants them.
Why not give one of them a chance instead?

I know people are about to say kill him, but I don’t agree with that practice at all, so I strongly suggest sitting and spending time near the coop, that helped me. And if he attacks you, grab him and put him on his back for a few seconds. You can file hos spurs too
Yeah I dont like the idea of killing him. I do spend time out with them and he usually will leave me alone. He might be mad at me for not giving him any treats since I usually give a little to the group when I let them out for the day. He is pretty hard to grab because he just avoids my attempts of grabbing but most of my hens are against being touched also so it might just be their breed. They are smokey pearls. I hope the rooster is just having a bad day lol.

Yeah I dont like the idea of killing him. I do spend time out with them and he usually will leave me alone. He might be mad at me for not giving him any treats since I usually give a little to the group when I let them out for the day. He is pretty hard to grab because he just avoids my attempts of grabbing but most of my hens are against being touched also so it might just be their breed. They are smokey pearls. I hope the rooster is just having a bad day lol.
One thing I would like to point out is that roosters don't feel anger in the way that humans do. If anything, he is showing you aggression out of instincts and his desire to dominate the situation. If you are truly opposed to getting rid of him, he should at least be confined in some way so that you're not constantly watching your back when you go outside. It's no fun constantly looking over your shoulder.

He doesn't always attack me when I go out. He is generally usually chill. Idk what has changed in his behavior and I get I probably should rehome him cause he is acting aggressive. I had just gone out to put them up in their run and he didn't bother me at all. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep thinking on it. I'm the primary caretaker and these are our first chickens so we are still learning. <3

He doesn't always attack me when I go out. He is generally usually chill. Idk what has changed in his behavior and I get I probably should rehome him cause he is acting aggressive. I had just gone out to put them up in their run and he didn't bother me at all. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep thinking on it. I'm the primary caretaker and these are our first chickens so we are still learning. <3
Thr arrival of spring can often trigger aggression due to a surge in breeding hormones.

Why not?
What could possibly be enjoyable about being damaged by an animal?
If you had an aggressive dog, would you just put up with it until it mauled some poor child to death?

Fact: The rooster wants to harm you. He is not playing games.

This.

Why keep an aggressive, dangerous animal?

What if he injures a visitor? Especially a child.

Back
Top Bottom