Animal protein or not

our birds are fed good layer feed and then i supplement their diet by adding cooked fish leftovers and tuna if i catch it on sale. THEY LOVE THE FISH!!! Its so fun to watch them scramble for it

Quote:
I think it depends on the protein sores.
I have use a show lamb feed and on the ingredient tag it states animal protein products.
They can consume dairy products with no problem.

Chris

Last edited:
Chickens should have some type of Animal Protein in there main diet.
I have seen a lot of good show fowl go to crap when fed a "vegetarian" type feed. Most breeders that I know will supplement there feed with some type of Animal Protein even if they are using a good feed that contains Animal Protein.

I myself mix my own feed with grains, protein mixer pellet and I also top dress my birds feed with Raw Goat Milk, and Bil-Jac puppy food. The Raw Goat Milk, and the Bil-Jac puppy food are used as a sores of animal protein.
The ingredients in the Bil-Jac -
Chicken, Chicken By-Products (organs only, source of arginine), Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Oatmeal and Flaxseed.

Chris

Last edited:
Bottom line is they are indeed omnivores and need to eat a varied diet including animal protein in one form or another. A lack of same causes all sorts of problems in your flock including feather picking/eating. There are other ways of adding it to the diet, but having it in the feed is fine as far as I see it....

So is it bad to feed them this cause i was heard that feeding chickens a little dog food keeps blood out of the eggs

I do not believe this is true at all.

and that some farmers acctually kill some chickens and feed them back to the birds can you do this or not good idea?

And this is wholly unnecessary.

Nevertheless I agree with many others that a little animal protein is good in a bird's diet and I use feeds that incorporate it.

Quote:
In my opinion the 'no animal protein' is a spin. Simply put, it is cheaper to use soy protein in feed. Hence, "No Animal Protein" becomes an advertising angle. There is also likely a bit of safety behind the use of soy, too. As has been said, the use of animal protein from sickened "downed" animals could potentially spread disease. I am not concerned about this, but it is a moot point since I cannot easily get feed that does contain animal protein. I'll just supplement with scraps of human and cat food.

Gamebird Starter tag info:

262_pstartenatag.jpg

Handy stuff to have on hand in the dead of winter or during molts (augment reg. feed for mature birds).

Back
Top Bottom