Annoying broody hen

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
A close friend of mine told me a way to stop a broody hen is to annoy the hell out of her. This includes picking her up and putting her where the food or water is, can also be putting her across the coop away from where the nest is. Can also include clapping your hands, somewhat aggressively petting her on the nest, taking away the nest to annoy her, snapping your fingers infront of her face. That's what she told me.

I am thinking about trying it, I never really see my silkies stressed even under stressful conditions. Can I do it to stop her from being broody? I dont care about her laying or hatching eggs, im just worried about her going broody so often she will die during a broody session period. Im also worried because broody hens dont like to travel far, im worried she wont get on top the treadle feeder to eat. Should I just annoy the hell out of her to stop her from being broody.

(She is a VERY good mother. She goes broody every week, im not even joking) Just so it is known, she is so friendly she refuses to peck me or the rooster when I go into the nesting box, she is kinda a push-over. Also yes I have some chicks and have tried sneaking them under her for her to raise but that just raises hell when she wakes up and yes the chicks are fine

Yeah it will never happen. Two brothers, one male cousin, and 2 other boys that were all about the same age growing up and we would annoy the chickens all the time. Never seen one break by it. What you will end up doing is driving her out of the nest box to find a "safer" spot. Then you will have to redo the nest training.

My speckled sussex has gone broody. I have been suspecting it for a while. I set up the dog crate, aka broody breaker cage. I put her in last night and let her out late this am.I also took the morning eggs out of the nest. If this doesn't work she will get two nights in cool seclusion. I have only had to do this once before and it works.

Just use a broody breaker cage. Trying to annoy a silkie off a nest isn't going to work
What is a broody breaker cage. Our Polish broody hen has gone crazy and is upsetting all the others. Is it possible for a hen to go insane?

Attachments

• Mildred.jpg
    Mildred.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom