Another Ameraucana / EE classification question...

dandelionheart

Songster
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
Lafayette, Indiana
Okay, so I just visited the Ameraucana website to go through the standards, just out of boredom. I'm fine with my EE mutts - they are wonderful little girlies! Anyway... I was surprised that two of them, my white and (I think) my silver look to qualify as Ameraucanas... but the other two EEs (their hatch sisters) don't (they are the standard copper/brown/black EEs). So... do I really have two Ameraucanas and two EEs? I'm not planning on breeding them, so I guess it really doesn't matter... but can you breed EEs so that they breed back to true Ameraucana? I bought them from someone who bought hatching eggs from a EE breeder. All 4 have good color legs, muffs, beard, pea combs, colored eggs.
lol.png
So is Bronwen Wallace (white EE) and Martha Stewart (silver EE) really Ameraucanas? Or are they EE imposters? And if they come from the same stock as their chipmunk sisters, why isn't that color approved? Because it seems like they are all just mutts and some are elevated mutts...
hu.gif

While it's possible to have an bird that's considered an EE be a standard color, usually there are other disqualifying factors within the standard. However, EVEN if there aren't...and a mixed mutt EE happens to be visually standard color and type, the problem is that they will not breed true. Meaning their offspring will have 'crop out' colors or other traits that fall outside of the standard.

caf.gif
I think if they are from the same stock as regular EEs that makes them EEs
idunno.gif
I've got one white EE that lays a lt. blue egg, but I bought them from a hatchery, so they technically will always just be mutts no matter what.
love.gif
them all the same, no real favorites for me - well I like the blue egg layers best.
droolin.gif

The thing is, yes, hatcheries offer White and Silver Easter Eggers - The same color as would be accepted on an Ameraucana. However - A lot of them still have green legs, lack of muffs, green eggs, etc. If you bird truly does match up to the exact of an Ameraucana, sure, you could get away with calling it so, but you'd best be sure it actually breeds true. For one, Silver Ameraucanas are very specific. There are a lot of Silver duckwing EE's that look like them, but to the trained eye, still have differences. (columbian gene, blue gene, too much melanizer, etc)

I've honestly yet to see an EE from a hatchery that matches and could easily pass as an Ameraucana.

Back
Top Bottom