Another Chicks 6mo not laying Question

erixsparhawk

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2016
I got an assorted batch of day olds on March 10th. 2 silver grey dorklings, 2 americana, 1 buckeye, 1 sultan.
The dorklings have been bigger than my 2 year old barred rock for about a month and the americanas are the same size. I've search the yard over and over at different times of day and all the bushes are pruned back so I can get a good look under. The feed schedule and type for these "chicks" has been the same as for the last set of birds I raised, (buff Orphington and barred). Those were laying at the start of 5 months and they were smaller at the time.
Any body have some thoughts? I'm thinking about sticking a red light in the coop to start extending daylight hours.
Thanks,
Eric in Colorado.

I would just give them time. It's hard waiting on freeloaders, especially near the end of the "average" age of laying, but they should start soon. Some larger breeds take longer than others - a big difference in average lay age between say, a Leghorn and an Orpington, but also even between 2 birds of the same breed. The finish line is in sight for you, I'd just let it play out on it's own for a few more weeks...

Mine started laying between 5 1/2 months to 6 1/2 months. I would check like 8 times a day. Than 1 started laying than 2 did and than it was 3 for awhile. Now all of them are laying. Well except one because she decided to go broody... I have learned they have a recommended age of laying but its up to the chicken I suppose.

Red light will not work for 'extending daylight'....search for supplemental lighting.

Free rangers? Lock them up.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Update and self-pity post.

Saturday the 17th I got my first little white egg from one of the young birds, and a few more over the next few days. Yesterday morning I was washing dishes and heard a very immature but very distinct cockle doodle doo! I've had my doubts about one of my dorklings for weeks because she/he had a huge comb, huge wattle, very upswept tail compared to all the others, and was the biggest bird I have. So this morning with my headlamp I butchered and started up the crock pot.... There was a little white egg inside.... I'm very upset, sad, and feel stupid. Now I have no clue which one gave the crow. Guess I need to pull out the lawn chair this weekend. The neighbors are quick to call in to the county and I've already got one steep fine for not having the correct permit and the coop placed in an powerline easement along my back fence. I really don't need to spend hundreds more on a rooster fine.

Back
Top Bottom