Another clean water question - does overflowing the tub get most of the muck to float out?

juniperz

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2017
I don’t have ducks yet, and I’ve been doing a little reading and asking around to prep myself. One person whose yard I saw had a small (think small kiddy pool) repurposed fountain for her 3 ducks. I asked how she kept it clean, and she said it was easy - she had a hose that would refill the fountain from the bottom, and let the top overflow, and most of the muck would flow over the rim and then down into the garden. However I haven’t seen anyone else mention doing this. Has anyone else tried it? How well does it work for you?

In my experience with kiddie pools for ducks, it doesn't work that way. But, I don't have a fountain, so maybe that's why her method works for her.

My runners leave a layer of mud on the bottom of the pool that doesn't float away. I use a sprayer on my garden hose to shoot mud out of the emptied pool.

BTW, congrats on the upcoming addition of ducks. Messy, but well worth it!

I try to go 2 days with out emptying the pools my ducks /goose use so at end of the first day it can be pretty nasty having 20 waterfowl bathing and playing so I take the hose and put clean water in for 10mins time it on my phone. No it doesn't take all the water muck out but it does make it so it isn't so nasty till I remove all the water the next evening and then fill the next day. Less ducks would maybe work That I can't say.

i have 45 ducks. between them i have 4 large kitty pools. my rule of thumb is every day i dump out and wash off two of them with clean water. that way im not way oversaturating the ground... the ducks really dont care what the water looks like. but i like always having some fresh water for my egg layers.

i have 45 ducks. between them i have 4 large kitty pools. my rule of thumb is every day i dump out and wash off two of them with clean water. that way im not way oversaturating the ground... the ducks really dont care what the water looks like. but i like always having some fresh water for my egg layers.
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom