Another DE question

oldegger

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 4, 2008
Monclova, OH
When you folks are saying FOOD grade. Are we talking animal food or people food.
Another member posted a link to a Georgia feed mill that sells 50 pound bags for $25. add $29 for shipping.
This morning I started checking with Ohio feed mills for there suppliers. The DE they use in there animal feed costs $12 to $15 for a forty pound bag. Comes from Canada. Haven't seen how its labeled. Ordered a bag. I figured if they can put in animal feed I can use it on the outside
cool.png

As long as it is food grade, which I'm sure it probably is if the feed store is selling it, then it will be just fine. I would double check it when it comes in to be certain, however. Food grade means that it is safe for human and animal consumption. I even take it! It also goes in my coop. Hope this helps.
smile.png

I would almost bet that is the exact same stuff that I got the first time I tried to get DE. I went to the feed store and asked for DE and they sold me a bag of it for 21 dollars. Thought I was gettiing a real deal------NOT. The stuff I got was out of Canada, came in a white bag, said food grade DE on the bag, but . it was 60% DE and 40 % red clay. Mine was by a company called Red Lake Earth. The DE was brownish red , not white, and EXTEMELY dusty, that makes you sick to breath it at all, very heavy dust ( with the clay I imagine). I did not add it to the food for the chickens, I figured if it made me sick then with their tiny lungs I was sure it would not be good for them. The only thing I used it for was to dust the runs and after they were all outside I would spread some on the floor of the coop and add the bedding over it, it was good for drying up the poop and when the runs got muddy I would spread that and it did dry up the mud pretty good. I sure would NOT feed it to them though. YOU want to get Perma- Guard food grade DE and you can contact Spatcher here at BYC as he sells it or where I used to get it was www.shadowridgedonkeys.com They sell a 10 bag for I think about 25.00. The good DE is white and looks just like flour. It also goes by the name of fossil shell flour.

Back
Top Bottom