Another Egg Bound Hen.

She just died, now i only want to save the others, anything i can do for them? Please.

I am so sorry as well.

My hen is pacing and drooping her wings a little bit again, I guess we will see if she lays anything tonight, and worry, worry, worry all day.
sad.png

This is going to sound horrible, but you might be able to salvage the egg and incubate it. This is also a good opportunity for you to get a better idea of how to get an egg out if this happens again. Does that make sense? Somewhere in that bulge of tissue is the opening to the shell gland... try to find it and see if you can get the egg out.

-Kathy

Last edited:
This is going to sound horrible, but you might be able to salvage the egg and incubate it. This is also a good opportunity for you to get a better idea of how to get an egg out if this happens again. Does that make sense? Somewhere in that bulge of tissue is the opening to the shell gland... try to find it and see if you can get the egg out.

-Kathy

I looked for the egg but can't find it, i only found the yolk, don't know if i was doing it right or wrong but i believe the egg was broken since yesterday night. And i hope i don't need to do a necropsy because I'm so tired, and will need to drive back to home, that's a 2 hours trip.

Last edited:
I looked for the egg but can't find it, i only found the yolk, don't know if i was doing it right or wrong but i believe the egg was broken since yesterday night. And i hope i don't need to do a necropsy because I'm so tired, and will need to drive back to home, that's a 2 hours trip.

Sounds like you should get some rest.
hugs.gif
This has been an awful 2 days for you, I am so sorry.

Cute name! How are all the hens doing now?

-Kathy

Still pacing and no eggs at last check, but they have all been waiting until dark this year. I have not found a single egg the evening it is laid and the flashlight freaks them out too much, so I just collect the next morning.

Still pacing and no eggs at last check, but they have all been waiting until dark this year. I have not found a single egg the evening it is laid and the flashlight freaks them out too much, so I just collect the next morning.

Morning egg report. Last night we had 6 hens pacing and looking like they needed to lay. This morning 2 have stopped without laying and look normal, these are the 2 that were not due to lay. Two others successfully laid their eggs, and of the remaining 2, one looks better but no egg, however she is one of my third day layers, so I'll worry if there is no egg from her tomorrow. The last is Bertolli who started this thread, she has not laid she is still pacing very drooped and looking just miserable, however she is not down or prolapsed. I am alone until this afternoon so I will give her until then and if there is no egg we will do the vent check and lube, and then if we find an egg we will repeat the calcium and fluids we administered last time.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom