Another Egg Bound Hen.

FYI, I use the 30 when feeding thick stuff, an 18 for fluids and 8's and 10's for chicks.

-Kathy

I can use the crop needles for chicks and I've been using one for fluids with pretty decent results. But I'll probably end up ordering myself a whole set eventually, I like to hoard this sort of stuff.

Another 70 mls of fluids and Kaytee at 5:30, added 2 mls. of calcium as we are getting close to egg processing time.

Read this entire thread from start to here tonight. Me and wife did chores at around 5pm and I went out again abour 8:30 to collect the days offering of eggs. Noticed a purple b/s hen that was down and from my first seeing her thought she was dead. When I entered the pen I found she was alive but had her head flat on the ground. I collected the 3 eggs in the pen,marked them and then went back in to further investigate. During this time she had gotten up and moved but I did not see her so I coaxed her and she walked kinda weebly then laid down again. I picked her up,brought her to the house and gave her warm gatorade with a syringe and liquid vitamin e and put her inside a dog crate in the garage. If she hasn't improved at 7:30 am when I turn eggs before leaving for work she'll get another same dose of both.

It was mentioned by someone they had been feeding bird seed for feed and had lost a large number of peachicks and I think maybe q8peafowl had done the same with some of the hens he was having trouble with? My feed has boss seeds,,milo and red millet along with cracked corn. During this time of the year my ration changes but only the weights of ingredients and diffrent amounts of vitamins and trace minerals. I normally have a few problems with first year layers getting eggbound but the hen tonights wingband number was 77 so she is at least 5 years old. I didn't have problems with this group last year, diet is the same,,,so what has changed besides her age? I wonder if the birds ability to metabolize whats in the feed affects actual feed values per bird? And if they can't utilize whats necessary for egg production theres bound to be trouble. I have the same problem each year at this time, the peas pick at whats in the feed bowl and leaves some of the most important parts of the ration,mainly alfalfa meal and the source of protein added. I wish it was feasible to locate a pelletizer to make feed with. This way every bite would have everything in it. They could pick and choose between the pellets but each one would be a whole part of the ration.

Last edited:
Read this entire thread from start to here tonight. Me and wife did chores at around 5pm and I went out again abour 8:30 to collect the days offering of eggs. Noticed a purple b/s hen that was down and from my first seeing her thought she was dead. When I entered the pen I found she was alive but had her head flat on the ground. I collected the 3 eggs in the pen,marked them and then went back in to further investigate. During this time she had gotten up and moved but I did not see her so I coaxed her and she walked kinda weebly then laid down again. I picked her up,brought her to the house and gave her warm gatorade with a syringe and liquid vitamin e and put her inside a dog crate in the garage. If she hasn't improved at 7:30 am when I turn eggs before leaving for work she'll get another same dose of both.

It was mentioned by someone they had been feeding bird seed for feed and had lost a large number of peachicks and I think maybe q8peafowl had done the same with some of the hens he was having trouble with? My feed has boss seeds,,milo and red millet along with cracked corn. During this time of the year my ration changes but only the weights of ingredients and diffrent amounts of vitamins and trace minerals. I normally have a few problems with first year layers getting eggbound but the hen tonights wingband number was 77 so she is at least 5 years old. I didn't have problems with this group last year, diet is the same,,,so what has changed besides her age? I wonder if the birds ability to metabolize whats in the feed affects actual feed values per bird? And if they can't utilize whats necessary for egg production theres bound to be trouble. I have the same problem each year at this time, the peas pick at whats in the feed bowl and leaves some of the most important parts of the ration,mainly alfalfa meal and the source of protein added. I wish it was feasible to locate a pelletizer to make feed with. This way every bite would have everything in it. They could pick and choose between the pellets but each one would be a whole part of the ration.

Sorry to have to say "Welcome aboard" not a good thread to have to be following. Keep us posted on how she does.
fl.gif
I also add a bird seed blend that is mainly milo but also has red millet. I will not be adding it any longer, in case this is what is causing us these problems.

Last edited:
I was feeding them another kind of bird seed before for 3 days a week as an extra source of feed for them and never had a problem with that, but after that i changed the brand of the bird seed and mixed it with their original feed, so they become eating it everyday. And here where the problems started to appear.

Sadly the third peahen who laid the soft egg two days ago died today, she looked better yesterday and will fly away if i tried to catch her, but maybe she wasn't eating enough, even so i gave her some fluids few times.

Last edited:
I was feeding them another kind of bird seed before for 3 days a week as an extra source of feed for them and never had a problem with that, but after that i changed the brand of the bird seed and mixed it with their original feed, so they become eating it everyday. And here where the problems started to appear.

Sadly the third peahen who laid the soft egg two days ago died today, she looked better yesterday and will fly away if i tried to catch her, but maybe she wasn't eating enough, even so i gave her some fluids few times.

Sorry again.

Just finished 70 mls. of fluids with 1 ml. calcium and Kaytee mixed in. Earlier I took out a small bowl of starter with some kitten chow and Omega Egg maker sprinkled on top, she ate a bit of this, but far from a hearty meal, she obviously still doesn't have much appetite. She did fight me a lot harder though so I think her energy level is higher.

Just finished 70 mls. of fluids with 1 ml. calcium and Kaytee mixed in. Earlier I took out a small bowl of starter with some kitten chow and Omega Egg maker sprinkled on top, she ate a bit of this, but far from a hearty meal, she obviously still doesn't have much appetite. She did fight me a lot harder though so I think her energy level is higher.

Repeated the above, I'm worried though. All she wants to do is lay in the sun, she can walk and gets up every time she sees me coming. I think she is weak because she isn't eating.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom