Another Genetics question

ChickenMama6RIR

Free Ranging
7 Years
Hey guys! This is probably just the start of all of my genetic questions when it comes to coloring on quail. So thank y'all for putting up with me. I'm trying to learn lol. So from research I have found that a yellow chick with a couple of gray striped while be a silver. My favorite color. So I have 2 brown chicks that are feathering silver. And that... I do not understand lol. So can someone explain to me how that happened? I'll post a picture of the chick currently looks like. You can tell by his head what the rest of his body looked like as a newborn chick. He's currently a week old

Attachments

• IMG_20220803_203345.jpg
    IMG_20220803_203345.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 8
I'm no expert on genetics, but a yellow chick will be white. Silvers usually show some pigment as chicks. I too love the silvers, but I have learned not to breed silver to silver. If you want healthy silvers, keep a roo of a different colour with silver hens. You'll get a lot of variety without getting albinos or a low hatch rate.

Albinos may sound neat, but they are usually blind and have other health problems. If they don't die on their own, they often need to be culled.

It doesn't look silver to me, looks more of a muddy blonde? IDK what tht translates to in corties? Button silver chicks have pigment, if they're yellow with silver stripes that points towards a silver red-breasted (usually the males will get pink/blush feathers thru the silver and females will mottle) solid silver chicks are solid yellow with silver hue coming thru ... very noticeable, and slate chicks the silver is darker and more pronounced on the chick.

Again I don't know how this translates to corties ... but here's piks of my silver red breasted boy Max, his chick pik and my new lil baby Nugget who is a silver tux, last pik is my silver redbreasted female.
Snapchat-2060429004.jpg
20220814_115438.jpg

20220918_115302.jpg

20220918_115302.jpg

Just saw this, your yellow chicks that end up silver, are fakers, and probably carry 2 copies of fee. The bird in the photo does not carry fee, you can tell by the color of the baby fluff on the head. The birds with fee will have no browns purpling up the silver, and will usually be overall much more pale.

Back
Top Bottom