another misplaced eggs question

chickly

Hatching
12 Years
Oct 19, 2007
I'm new to this forum (and any forum in fact) as well as new to hen-raising. I had 7 delightful hens born on the 4th of July
smile.png
and thus not laying yet. A week ago I acquired 7 more hens that had started laying a couple months ago. I was worried about the transition but one hurdle is over--they all come in to the coop at night now. But only 1 or 2 eggs show up in the nesting boxes-- sometimes a couple in the barn, but mostly they are missing. I've read the suggestions on the forum about keeping the hens in for several days to encourage them to use the nesting boxes but the coop is really small--very cute and handy but definitely designed only for night roosting and egg laying. I'm worried about keeping them locked up for several days in that small space--will they get upset, peck each other, etc?

Actually the key for the confinement to work is 2 full weeks and not just a few days, any less time isn't going to work. Yep, your small space will cause stress and that is a problem. Being prepared before starting would have solved this issue, or just staying with the original ones would have been less stressful for everyone...
Time for a larger coop.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom