Another Newbie from Massachusetts

Must Be Losing It

Lost It
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
Uxbridge MA
So I have about 15 bearded silkie eggs arriving this week, and I couldn't be more excited. They should hatch hopefully around Easter. These are my first chickens!!!!!!!! So of course I had to pick the cutest, fluffiest ones around to ensure the kids would help out. That being said, any suggestions? How long should I keep them inside before they get moved to their coop? And, I currently have 6 guineas, how soon would you suggest I wait before I introduce them?

Oh, and feed suggestions would be great.

I'm surprised to hear that. I was originally told that silkies and guineas make a great mix from several guinea fans, particularly when it comes to brooding.

Have you experienced this?

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif

Your chickens should be fully featherd out with their adult feathers before moving them out. I know nothing about mixing guiena and chickens. Did you check out the Learning Center? You will find tons of info there cause I know nothing about silkies. Someone with a lot more knowledge will be along soon to help you I am sure.

My 2 cents: I have 16 guineas and 36 chickens, turkeys, peacocks, silkies, roosters in the same barn. Nobody bothers anybody and the guinea were no threat to my chickens. Even when I would add new chickens, no problem. I had never heard this before.

That makes me feel much better. The eggs were mucho pricey I would hate to lose them to grumpy birds.

I'm a member of a guinea fowl site and honestly I was encouraged to get silkies because of their demeanor and brooding instincts that guineas lack.

I'm sure there are bad seeds in any bunch, but I will certainly use caution when introducing them.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom