Another Newbie Question (Lighting)

act5860

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 14, 2013
Ridgeland, SC
Should I start day old chicks off with 16 hours of lights on or do they need more sleep time? I'd like to get them acclimated to what they'll have in the coop. ( Yes, I know it will be a while but don't want to suddenly change their environment )
jumpy.gif

Normally they are started off with 24 hours of light, not for light but for warmth, for those first few weeks, maybe 4 weeks or so. Then they have naturally occurring day and night until whenever you add the light intended to increase egg production in the winter, which will be many weeks later. So it's not an issue. It apparently takes them only one or two nights to adjust to adding or taking away light at night, anyway.

Judy, thank you for your quick reply and wonderful explanation. So other than the heat lamp which they'll only need for a few weeks, if I leave the curtains open in the room I'm brooding them in, that should do it.

Yes, it's always a good idea for them to have natural light, even if you use supplemental light for eggs. Just as, most people have their supplemental light turn on during the night, figuring that they will rest better if they have a natural dusk leading into night at the end of their day.

Back
Top Bottom