Another newbie

chocluver

Songster
8 Years
Nov 7, 2015
Hello!

I have been reading the forum for a while prior to getting my chooks and now joined since I actually have them!

I was given 6 'hens', one didn't make it to our garden as he crowed and went back home. Since then, 2 more 'hens' have crowed so we have 2 roosters and 3 hens, and 6 more definite hens arriving in ten days.

They are in the coop at night but free range at all other times, for about 10 hours a day. 2 of our cats ignore them, the other cat likes to herd them which can be useful. They don't eat any scraps I give them so I have left them to it for the time being. This might change when the snow comes I guess. I did see one eat a snake and my freshly planted tulip bulbs have been dug up.

So far, loving having them, even the roosters!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! What ashame a couple of your hens have crowed!! Good luck with your new ten that you are getting. That will even your flock out better as 1 roo can easily handle 10 hens. Sometimes if you have less hens the males can over breed them and damage them.

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future, enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

G'day, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on Yorkshire coop; for the health of your flock that 1 rooster to 10 hens ratio is very important. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif

Thank you for the big welcome!

The farm I bought the second batch from said 4-6 hens per rooster so quite a difference to the 1:10 ratio mentioned
hmm.png

I am suspicious that another hen is a roo, no crowing, but very frisky!

Back
Top Bottom