Another question that im shure someone would like to answer. :)

mhoward92

Songster
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
1) I just started building the frame for my new chicken coop! woo-hoo!
big_smile.png
. I have a question on the "roost"? I believe that is the name of it. Anyway I was reading somewhere else that you where only supposed to have them 12-18 in of the floor of the coop. but, by looking at pictures of other peoples i have noticed some to be as high as 3 -4 ft from the floor bottom.

2) ONE MORE THING!
wink.png
I have an idea of making "ramps" that go up to the top of my coop. So the hens believe they have more space to roam then they really do
smile.png
but my question is, "can i do this? is it safe for them?" if you are wondering im not planning on putting the nest boxes up there, my poor little eggs would probabally end up on the floor by what i have read about "hens favorite places to lay eggs"
tongue.png

thanks, Mitch

Feral or"wild" chickens roost in trees way more than a couple of feet from ground. if your coop has rafters, you'll find them roosting there too.

In my experience, I have found that the roosts should be higher than the nest box. Chickens tend to roost at the highest level and if you don't want them in the nest to sleep or on top of it, then put the nests lower. Once they get in the habit of roosting on the nest box, its tough to break and they pile up feces on and inside the nests.

Now, keeping that in mind - the roosts should not be so high that it could cause injury to the birds when they fly down. Injuries can result from hard landings or rough surfaces. Leg injuries are common in very high roosting fowl and bumblefoot also can be an issue that is difficult to tackle.

I started with all of my roosts at 4 feet high and the chickens never had problems getting to them (or even higher..in rafters). As stated, problems arose from flying down and the landing. We have since lowered most to 24-36 inches depending on the breed and the location of their nest boxes. Others we have kept at 4 feet without any problems (smaller breeds). Heavy breeds tend to have the most difficult time with landing since they don't hold their weight well in the air.

I hope some of this is helpful in deciding what is right for your coop.

Jody

1) Anyway I was reading somewhere else that you where only supposed to have them 12-18 in of the floor of the coop. But, by looking at pictures of other peoples i have noticed some to be as high as 3 -4 ft from the floor bottom.

The height is very much dependent on the breed. So decide now on what breeds you will keep. At the riskl of repeating Jody's excellent comments, heavies should be a little lower to the ground, say 24." Lighter breeds can be higher. As a good compromise, I'd suggest 24-36" and give them a ramp to get up with. Chickens will roost where they like, not always where you give them space. you have to decide what you want them to do and then make it so that cant do other things.

Chickens arent as bright as we think and they pretty much do what they want. Maybe I should say that they do things we dont plan for and that which they are able to do. Roost high in the rafters? Sure, if they can comfortably get up and down again. A way to keep them off the nests, and anything else you dont want them, on is to place a slanted peak on top. I hinge mine against the wall. The chickens cant hang on to it and soon give up trying - and I can put stuff behind it as storage.

2) ONE MORE THING! I have an idea of making "ramps" that go up to the top of my coop. So the hens believe they have more space to roam then they really do but my question is, "can i do this? is it safe for them?"

I know people do this and it wont hurt the birds, especially if they can clamber up and down your "jungle gym" without having to fly down. Again, the heavies can have their legs harmed by essentially "free-falling" to the floor.

But, remember, unless you live in the Arctic, the coop is a place to roost and lay eggs, not loaf around pooping all over chicken gyms. Yep, the more stuff you put in there, the more stuff you'll have to clean. <<< Okay, sorry, that was my PERSONAL view. Lets try this again, shall we? >>>

In the cold countries that gym contrpation might be a good idea, if you have the room for it. Since they may have to spend more time inside than birds in warmer climes, the diversion might do them some good. I suggest you make it dismountable so you can take it out and clean it. When the blizzards have passed.​

Last edited by a moderator:
My chickens have a roost, a work bench, and some boxes to roost on. But my BO insisted on flying on top of the fan in the window, must be about 4 feet high. I had to block the top of the fan due to safety reasons, and I will have to put a higher roost up.

Back
Top Bottom