Another Rooster Issue

MyTDogs

Songster
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Sunny Seminole County, FL
I think my rooster is just reaching maturity...he is about7-8 months old & a hatchery buff orpington. I didn't really want a rooster when I got him but now that he has been here I am kinda liking the idea. I fell into this breed because that is what my friend has & I got them from her. I was happy to read that the breed is known for being friendly and I hoped he'd be true to type. Usually when I walk towards him he gives me a wide berth & he has been respectful of the dogs (border collies-who are not aggressive towards him). My runner ducks & drakes seem to push him around too.

Unfortunately this week he is not acting like a warm friendly BO. I was coming in the front gate a couple days ago & he jumped at me. Yesterday he was poking around my feet while I was sitting in the yard & I lifted my foot to shoo him away a bit & he came at me. I stood up & went right at him & kicked out (I had on sneakers) and made glancing blows under his chin each time he jumped & flapped at me ...probably 4 times in all. He wasn't injured & really didn't even seem phased at all but he did back down. Tonight when I got home I was preparing to put out some feed like always & my 14 1/2 year old dog was out with me. and he went after her. It was a halfhearted attempt but it really ticked me off because she is old & frail and was not even paying attention to the birds. I yelled & booted him right in the butt- again in sneaks- and made a good connection some feathers came out & he jumped away. After that he was very respectful/fearful and avoided me like the plague.

I am really new to chickens but I have read a lot of info about rooster issues. I think I either need to rehome him or put him in the crockpot (not sure I can do this myself). Am I being too hard on him? Jumping the gun? He is young so might he grow out of it?

My inclination is to look for another roo, from show lines (friendlier I think??). I have some one month old ameraucanas & I am sure at least one of those will be a roo and I believe they are show lines though not certain. They are very skittish right now but the mealworms really warmed them up to me. I am planning on getting a few australorp pullets this weekend too.

Sooo, to the point, should I wait on my Ams to see if one of them can take over rooster duty? Or would I be better to get a mature roo from someone & put my BO in the pot now? There are lots of hawks, eagles, etc & my birds free range during the day so I feel like a roo might help keep them safer.

There was a really handsome Speckled sussex at the farm swap last weekend that she wanted $15 for- she even had 2 lovely hens to go with him ($20 a piece-is that a lot?) he had HUGE spurs but she said he was very sweet.

Thanks for any advice you can give!!

It won't improve, if you're hoping it will. It WILL get worse. And he will grow vicious barbs on the back of his legs that he WILL know how to use. I just killed two of mine yesterday. I just wanted a nice flock of birds, not to be mated with and my family dog attacked by roosters. It's easier to kill them when they are younger.

Back
Top Bottom