ANOTHER sick chicken

Noticed my pullet wasnt acting herself today. I went in and let the hens out and she didn't want to. She was walking funny and barely pecking at the ground. I picked her up again and felt around for her being egg bound and she spit out a soft egg. She still isn't acting good. What should I do?????? Help!

Noticed my pullet wasnt acting herself today. I went in and let the hens out and she didn't want to. She was walking funny and barely pecking at the ground. I picked her up again and felt around for her being egg bound and she spit out a soft egg. She still isn't acting good. What should I do?????? Help!

I only have one laying hen right now so I can't really be of much help but I do know that soft eggs can indicate a calcium deficiency!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for replying! No I have five girls one Rhode island red,one barred neck and three pullets and she just started today. No sneezing or sick symptoms. Her butt is stuck up in the air when she is setting down tho.

They all get get top notch food plenty veggies and meal worms and calcium. The other are laying just fine.

Thanks for replying! No I have five girls one Rhode island red,one barred neck and three pullets and she just started today. No sneezing or sick symptoms. Her butt is stuck up in the air when she is setting down tho.

I wish I could be of more help. My Salmon Faverolle just started laying on Friday at 24 weeks, the other girls in her pen are all a few weeks younger so I haven't had any bad experiences with egg laying...yet. Hopefully someone can comment and help you. It seems like in your case it's probably something going on with her internally and won't be contagious. It's scary thinking all 20 of my birds could possibly catch what ever my little Silkie has right now.

We had a necropsy done on the last 3 birds we lost a few weeks ago. All had infectious bronchitis which went "tubular" causing tumor like lumps in their lungs. I just found the newly sick bird this morning so I have not talked to the vet. However, I did talk to my breeder who told me to separate the sick bird and administer Tylan 50. I'm waiting for him to call back with more info. I gave the sick bird VetRx so far along with probiotics, scrambled eggs, yogurt, honey, kale and some apple cider vinegar. Last time I did this injectable Tylan 50 I did it under the wing, but I heard it's better to give at the base of the neck? I know the Tylan will not help IB, only prevent other infections from popping up. I believe I also have the antibiotic the vet gave me for the last birds.

Also, what is MG? I don't believe it is Coryza at this point, there is no bad odor. The bird is alert and hoping around. She just has a lot of clear nasal discharge, sneezing, and her eye is very foamy.
Sorry, I thought you said one had eye swelling, but after re-reading found out I was mistaken. Foamy eyes can be a sign of MG. Here is a good link to read that shows the different symptoms of the common respiratory diseases IB, MG, coryza, and ILT: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Sorry, I thought you said one had eye swelling, but after re-reading found out I was mistaken. Foamy eyes can be a sign of MG. Here is a good link to read that shows the different symptoms of the common respiratory diseases IB, MG, coryza, and ILT: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thanks I'll check it out. It's so hard to figure out what it really is since so many illnesses have overlapping symptoms. I was on a website a few hours ago that said IB does not cause sneezing and that seems to be one of her main symptoms. All liquid coming from her nose and eyes is clear at this point. Our last girls with IB had more of a sticky yellow discharge coming from their nose. This little Silkie has me very confused.

Back
Top Bottom