Another Silkie Sex Question

Pineapplechickens

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2017
20170821_160314.jpg
I have two 2 month old buff silkies my bf and I got from a local feed store that was doing straight run of course. I've gone through many of the posts about silkies and I'm just not able to really see the things I'm supposed to be looking for and I can barely tell these two chickens apart hahaa I'm new to chickens and the forum. Any help would be great!

20170821_160349.jpg

This is the lighter one I think, we haven't named them yet.

20170821_160438.jpg

Still the first chick

And now for the second darker one
20170821_160521.jpg
20170821_160509.jpg

Neither have any sort of comb thing growing...yet

As they are bearded silkies they will take longer to give you an indication as to what they are. The genes associated with a beard also suppress wattle development so birds with beards always have very small wattles when mature, even the roosters. I've read of people being unsure until their bearded silkies were 8 months old, so they could keep you guessing awhile longer! It all depends on what line they've come from as to how quickly they will mature. I know it's not much help at all! They are gorgeous things though - I love the buffs.

I have 6 white silkies that's are 4 months old heres a photo of them. My best guess though is that they are probably hens? They are very hard to tell the sex till they get older. I'll attach another photo of them when they were about 2 and 1/2 months. I couldn't tell for sure for sure the roosters from the hens until 3 ish months. The two photos with the pine needles and fence are from today, the close up was about at 2 and 1/2 - 3 and the other was at about 2 I'd guess. Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_1031.JPG
    IMG_1031.JPG
    696.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1070.JPG
    IMG_1070.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1310.JPG
    582 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1311.JPG
    IMG_1311.JPG
    629.1 KB · Views: 6
As they are bearded silkies they will take longer to give you an indication as to what they are.

Oh wow, I didn't even know they were bearded! The feed store simply said they were straight-run buff silkies hahaha That's good to know, thanks!

I have 6 white silkies that's are 4 months old heres a photo of them. My best guess though is that they are probably hens? They are very hard to tell the sex till they get older.

Your silkies are beautiful, do you think solid colors make sexing these fluffballs easier?

Your silkies are beautiful, do you think solid colors make sexing these fluffballs easier?
Thank you Yours are as well! I'd love to have some buff, black, splash, or other colored ones! Mine are bantam silkies btw, But no I don't think it would be any different ! It's super duper hard to sex them until they are almost full grown! You'll know for sure the sex whenever one lays an egg or crows! Haha

Back
Top Bottom