Another tractor supply duckling

kmlj9491

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 6, 2014
Can anyone tell me What might have caused this? Could it have gotten its neck broken during shipping? It moves its head around but it walks like the picture shows and it just does circles
3edyby4e.jpg

I've heard others say their chicks get this. Its caused by a vitamin deficiency and is fixable. Sorry, I can't remember what vitamin. Might want to look in the chicken forums.

I think there was another thread on this in this section

I believe it was a vitamin thing and the owner sorted it out by putting supplements in their food.
Maybe do a search, or hopefully one of the people that helped out in the other thread will see this one

Niacin and thiamine deficiencies keep turning up on the forum.

So, as I recently wrote (to save time here)

May be a niacin deficiency caused by feeding chick starter.

Start on 150 mg niacin (from a capsule - do not use timed release or no-flush kind, just plain niacin) in each gallon of drinking water for 8 weeks. Results may be seen overnight, to within a week.

I am beginning to think about suggesting B complex because that includes thiamine, another B vitamin. Storey's Guide 1st Edition specifically recommends niacin (B3). But I have read here that thiamine deficiency also causes problems with ducklings.

Anyway, get the little on niacin, at least, right away.

If you cannot find it, use a tablespoon of brewer's yeast sprinkled on the food once daily.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom