Antibiotics and eating eggs

Thanks OEGBlady.
wink.png

It is not too bad but I don't want it to get any worse and keep spreading so I just want to nip it in the bud. I just found 1 site that said 4 days for withdrawal from eggs after last dose. I think I'll wait 2 weeks to be extra-sure.
smile.png

Just wondering if you guys can help me out. I have some kind of respiratory disease going around in my flock. It has killed one bird and several others are sick. I am assuming it is Micoplasma or something similar.

What antibiotic can I use to help the sick ones, that will still allow me to eat the eggs? All of the warning labels say that you cannot eat the eggs after using them. I pasture my birds so they consume loads of chlorophyll, which detoxifies them.

I figure that two weeks after the antibiotics are applied, is enough to run it out of their body, but that is based on conjecture.

chicken infection Dosage Packs/2 Gallons stock Solution

Infectious synovitis caused by Mycoplasma synoviae 200-400 mg/gal 5-10

Chronic respiratory disease (CRD) and air sac infection 400-800 mg/gal 10-20
caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Escherichia coli

Fowl cholera caused by Pasteurella multocida 400-800 mg/gal 10-20

Last edited:
I just looked the company up on line of the medication and called and they are able to tell you how much to mix [i.e. tablspn teaspoon, etc] in a gallon of water for
small flocks like my own. Hope this helps. I also wondered about eating the eggs. I simply can't believe that if you treat hens that are sneezing or have other
respiratory issues that you can NEVER eat their eggs again. It's ridiculous. I follow the 14days withdrawal and I am still alive after eating their eggs.

Exactly, these antibiotics are used in humans and the low levels that would be found in eggs shouldn't even be an issue. I'm not 100% on that but I'm just using logic not scientific data. Can anyone else shed some light as to what is the big deal?

Ok, so what about Garamycin and Tylan? (I apologize for the spelling), my neighbor said to wait a month before eating the eggs, is that accurate? They are getting a 50/50 mix of both. It's KILLING me to have to toss these eggs.

Ok, so what about Garamycin and Tylan? (I apologize for the spelling), my neighbor said to wait a month before eating the eggs, is that accurate? They are getting a 50/50 mix of both. It's KILLING me to have to toss these eggs.

Why are you mixing two antibiotics together and giving them to your chickens? Mixing two antibiotics together changes the chemical properties in the medications which could possibly cause adverse reactions, possible organ damage or worse...aka contraindications. You must give one or the other, not both.
Tossing the eggs is the least of your problems. Withdrawal periods are out the window mixing two meds together. No hens, no eggs. Now you know which came first.

His chickens are inspected and tested by the state twice a year. They are not sick. They get the occasional "cold" but thats about it. We have had a ton of rain here lately. Other people in this area that own chickens are having the same problem. I'll stick with what I know for now.
I doubt that his chickens are tested for anything other than AI and Pullorum.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom