Ant's on newly hatched Duckling?

OreoPlymothRock

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Florida
Hello, today is the day that the ducklings chose to emerge from their little shells! They are all hatching under the mother duckling outside. HOWEVER, there are a few ants crawling on the baby duckling, which is under the mother. The duckling is breathing normally and is alive, chirping a tiny bit, it is dark outside, 9:11 pm EST. Is this okay? Will the duckling cry for help to it's mom and then the mom will help? Thanks.

Ooh, tough one. I would monitor for a bit, if possible. I know my Runners will go after ants.
I don't know if I can monitor, it is late and thunder storming outside.
hmm.png

Help! The duckling is still alive, but there are noticibley a lot more ants. A few are on the duckling, but they are not biting her, i think. The belly button is still huge.

Are there other ducklings?

The duckling may have had problems even without the ants. Bring them all in.
There are other ducklings, but there are no more ants. Apparently, by the looks of it, the duckling that died was premature. Can ducklings even hatch prematurely? So there was still yolk, umbilical cord, and blood attached to it's vent. What happens when you crack an egg on the ground? Ant's come to it and eat it. Anyway, the other ducklings are perfectly fine, one hatched today, and is fluffy and healthy. Thank you for your advice!
clap.gif
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/987392/duck-pipped-at-wrong-end/110#post_15361929

There are other ducklings, but there are no more ants. Apparently, by the looks of it, the duckling that died was premature. Can ducklings even hatch prematurely? So there was still yolk, umbilical cord, and blood attached to it's vent. What happens when you crack an egg on the ground? Ant's come to it and eat it. Anyway, the other ducklings are perfectly fine, one hatched today, and is fluffy and healthy. Thank you for your advice!
clap.gif
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/987392/duck-pipped-at-wrong-end/110#post_15361929

Yes, a number of things can go wrong with a hatch. Sometimes mother ducks will ditch an egg that seems viable for unknown reasons. All kinds of possibilities. I am very glad everyone else is fine, I was fretting a bit - - - it is so difficult when we cannot be right there (not to mention I became ill last night and could not get back to the forum till later today).
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom