Any amature landscape designers out there? **UPDATE - PICS ADDED**

SparksNV

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Spanish Springs, NV
I live in northern Nevada and need to xero scape a large part of my backyard but I need ideas and plants that are drought tolerant and can have full sun. I can post pictures of my yard but before I do that - is anyone interested in helping?

Last edited:
its been a few years since i did it but i can give it a shot if you would like
smile.png
feel free to post some pix if you would like

Hi Sparks! I'll take a look at your picts! Can't say I'd be a lot of help but, hey, why not?

Last edited:
do a search on native Nevada plants. Those will be the best suited for your yard! I'm sure there are plants that will be attractive, and.. heck you may even be able to get them for free!

OK - so I took a bunch of photos - hope they help. We have a large paver patio with a nice cover over it attached to the house.

The directions will be as if you are standing with the house to your back and you are looking out onto the backyard.
A pond with waterfall is to your right. Behind the "dirt" is a rock retaining wall. On the right, it is bilevel - the bottom level is where I have my vegetable garden. The next level up I have grape vine and berries. In the middle of the wall is a stair that I don't want to obstruct from seeing. The wall on the left has one level - I have a butterfly bush and honeysuckle.

The areas I want to fix up is the big area in the middle. There were 2 areas for lawn that is outlined by concrete curbing - one on the left & one on the right. We no longer want grass. The curbing can be taken up if necessary. We have a sprinkler system in each area of curbing.

To the far left behind the shed, we want to put our above ground pool.

I would like drought and sun tolerant plants with color. The plants have to tolerate below freezing temperatures (we get days in the winter that do not go above freezing) and snow. We have a very dry climate. Our "soil" is extremely alkaline.

Some plants I like are rock/desert plants, grasses, roses, evergreens. I would like to have a few (3?) areas that are incorporated to plant annual flowers. We will be able to have a drip system placed. The back wall is approximately 100 ft long.

I like the idea of bringing in a few more large boulders perhaps.

60407_yard_2-2011_008.jpg

60407_yard_2-2011_007.jpg

60407_yard_2-2011_006.jpg

60407_yard_2-2011_005.jpg

60407_yard_2-2011_004.jpg

60407_yard_2-2011_003.jpg

60407_yard_2-2011_002.jpg

60407_yard_2-2011_001.jpg

Don't get me started Carol. This is kinda my thing! I've done several gardens in xeriscaped themes with a focus on bringing butterflies and hummingbirds to the garden. I'm also big on low maintenance plants and drip systems that conserve water. Here is a great website that specializes in a lot plants that thrive in high desert areas (they have other types too but not near as many as the "water-wise" plants). They even have grasses that are better suited to our high desert country here in Reno/Sparks.
http://www.highcountrygardens.com/?...utm_content=228912367&utm_campaign=4231282446
There is also a place here in town that sells a high desert sod that is fantastic (unfortunately my chickens think so too).
hmm.png

This was part of my business as a Real Estate Stager (curb appeal) but I prefer to plant a garden with a long term view and with an idea of how it will be used later. Something a lot of gardeners forget to do. I'll send you a PM.

Back
Top Bottom