Any bantam breeds that are good layers?

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
So, I may be showing chickens later this year for the Future Farmers of America program. Just this week I got my hen (Easter Egger) back after two years because we finished our garage coop that we’ve been working on all summer.
The coop is about 16 square feet (not including the top roosting area). Keep in mind that by the time I have these chickens grown, we will have a way to take them outside and let them be out there for most of the day.

So, to get straight to the point, I’ve decided it would be best to get 2 or 3 chicks (in case one is a rooster which would not be allowed in our neighborhood). My mom wants a breed that will be a good layer, but I think that might take up too much space in the coop. Are there any good laying bantams? Or smaller breeds?
Here are some pictures of the coop

Attachments

• 0AB6E693-DA06-4088-8754-177185E24E8A.jpeg
    0AB6E693-DA06-4088-8754-177185E24E8A.jpeg
    521.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 4CEAA479-60E5-4414-9A77-057F17087561.jpeg
    4CEAA479-60E5-4414-9A77-057F17087561.jpeg
    704.5 KB · Views: 5
Nice build! You might want to a second layer of chicken wire or hardware cloth, predators can get through chicken wire.
I'd think that bantam versions of large breeds might lay better than true bantams, but it take about 3 bantam eggs to equal a normal egg, so it might not matter how much they lay.

Nice build! You might want to a second layer of chicken wire or hardware cloth, predators can get through chicken wire.
I'd think that bantam versions of large breeds might lay better than true bantams, but it take about 3 bantam eggs to equal a normal egg, so it might not matter how much they lay.
Thanks! Glad to hear because we put a lot of effort into it :) I’ll definitely consider extra wire although I live in quite an urban area and the coop is in the garage, which has a screen door and a very tall fence around our backyard which the door leads to.
I’ll see about bantam versions of good layers! Sounds interesting! I know they’re tiny eggs but hopefully she’ll be happy as long as she’s getting some :)

I’d like to know the answer to this question too. I’m thinking of trying to develop a chicken that is a high producer of medium or small eggs. As far as I know all high producers lay large or x large eggs.

Back
Top Bottom