Any differences I should know about in a Guinea and Chicken coop?

ILuvsChicks

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2013
Missouri
Just need to build a plain coop for my Guineas to be able to stay in this winter. I've got a 6' X 12' chicken coop now. It has a 1000 sq ft run. I closed off a 1/3 of the run to keep the Guineas in. All but one of my Guineas I got as adults. The one thinks he is a chicken and free ranges with them and stays in the chicken coop. From what I've read about Guineas flying off, I may not let the others free range till next Spring. I've built them a roost closed off in the back and one side and a roof. That will keep them dry this Summer. But once it starts getting cold I want a coop they can go into. I will probably use a sheet of plywood for the floor. So it will be 4' X 8'. Anything I should know that I should design the inside different than you would a chicken coop? Guess I'm mainly talking about nesting boxes. But anything else too? Talking about 8 Guineas right now.

Sounds like a Fort Knox for Guineas
lau.gif

Just need to build a plain coop for my Guineas to be able to stay in this winter. I've got a 6' X 12' chicken coop now. It has a 1000 sq ft run. I closed off a 1/3 of the run to keep the Guineas in. All but one of my Guineas I got as adults. The one thinks he is a chicken and free ranges with them and stays in the chicken coop. From what I've read about Guineas flying off, I may not let the others free range till next Spring. I've built them a roost closed off in the back and one side and a roof. That will keep them dry this Summer. But once it starts getting cold I want a coop they can go into. I will probably use a sheet of plywood for the floor. So it will be 4' X 8'. Anything I should know that I should design the inside different than you would a chicken coop? Guess I'm mainly talking about nesting boxes. But anything else too? Talking about 8 Guineas right now.

At the recommended minimum 4 square feet of floor space per guinea, 4' x 8' (32 sq. ft.) is the bare minimum size recommended for 8 guineas. Of course once you put in a feeder and waterer and nest boxes you will no longer have 32 sq. ft. of clear space for those guineas. Personally I would recommend an 8' x 12' coop for 8 guineas.

Thanks for the replies. It helps. So I'll need a bigger coop. Or just eat more Guineas. Nesting on the floor will be simple enough. Seems about haft my chickens also prefer to ground. Hadn't thought about it but I probably should put in some ground level boxes for them too.

Back
Top Bottom