Any fish breeders?

Separating them does not make much difference with guppies. Female guppies store sperm even bette than female chickens.

As a practical matter, assume that if a female guppy has EVER bred with a male, that she will keep having one batch of babies after another for her entire life. And if it doesn't really last through her whole life, it certainly does last long enough for some of her sons to grow up and start mating with her, so then she's having babies again anyway.
I had success separating them when they were young. The males usually aren’t interested in the females until they get to a certain size.

I had success separating them when they were young. The males usually aren’t interested in the females until they get to a certain size.
Yes, I agree that could work.

I had thought you meant to wait until there was already an overpopulation, with mature females and males, and separate them then (at which point the mature females are going to keep pumping out babies anyway.)

They’re sold as feeder shrimp here, too, but the ones sold as feeders are often sick.
Here (from bait stores), they are usually coming straight from the wild. They’re easy to seine from lakesides by dragging a net through shallow weeds. Often bait stores get incidental catch in baby catfish when they do so and one can usually get the bait stores to give their baby catfish away when buying a cup of grass shrimp.

Here are some pictures of the babies, the adults, and my giant angelfish
20230923_130715.jpg
20230923_130853.jpg
20230923_130852.jpg
20230923_130817.jpg

I used to breed guppies for fun. However, I had so many issues with them randomly dying young that I stopped breeding them. I would definitely recommend getting another tank so you can separate the males from the females if the population starts to get out of control (which can definitely happen).
I'm partly breeding mine for feeders, so that won't be as big a problem for me as it is for some people. I'm gonna start mine off in a ten gallon. Costco has a big, think tub for $10, so I would like to eventually put them in that.

Back
Top Bottom