Any goat pple?

orpingtonbabies

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
So I've been freaking out for the past month about getting my chickens
yippiechickie.gif
and was so happy to find BYC and now, out of the blue, my uncle mentions getting GOATS?!? I'm going crazy with excitement:ya, but realized i don't know the first thing about goats.
idunno.gif
His friend apparently has 4 pregnant does and my uncle said he'd take them ALL (the kids, not the does). Please any basic information? (you'd be amazed how little I know:p) Thanks!

There's so much to say i'm unsure where to start.

Head on over BYH and I can guarantee you will spend hours there.
wink.png

Do you know what breed of goats they are?

okay, first, they don't really eat tin cans. they pretty much eat everything else, though! but seriously, they are browsers so your prized shrubs and flowers are fair game if they can get to them. The kids are so cute it should be against the law, and adult billies are ... well, they're not really fit for polite company! These are just a couple of the things you really need to know before bringing them home. Do your research, prepare with good fencing and good shelter, and enjoy!

That highly depends on breed, your location, and LOTS of other things...short rundown.

They need:
good hay
regular hoof trimming
loose minerals or salt lick
If milkers then milking equipment
DRY quarters!(doesn't have to be fancy but DOES have to be dry!)
seperate quarters for intact bucks for breeding
GOOD fencing is a MUST because they are escape artists notoriously so
wink.png

That is all I can think of at the moment...if you have secific questions you may PM me if you like. I have nubian milkers
big_smile.png
I LOVE goats!!! They're a hoot to keep..and sometimes a royal butt pain!
lol.png

do you happen to know what kind of goats they are????
because it really differs what you can do with different kinds of goats.
i have a pair of dairy goat does, one who is pregnant, both are registered and i show and milk them. i also have a couple of meat goats, who i show at the fair for 4H. there are also pygmys, but as far as i know, those are mostly used as pets.

I agree on passing if there is CL but CAE can be worked around BUT it is a pain. My doe mentioned in my thread about her maybe not making it just tested pos on her 4th test. The surviving twin wasn't even touched by mom and was immediately put on powdered milk.
Good fencing is a must. Electric alone doesn't cut it. I have one that starts yelling before she hits it and runs right through.

But its very possible that the doe had kidding issues because of CAE so why even bother going there if you can avoid it? CAE pos. does can be asymptomatic or they can be in constant pain and have many issues. I dont know, to me its not worth it. Too sad in the long run.

Be very careful with "free" goats. You might end up with a lot of "free" problems. The fact that this friend is giving away pregnant does sets off a lot of alarms for me... I'd want more background.

I have Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats. I got them for a steal price wise, but I know the seller personally.

ETA I just re read the OP as see that it's the kids you're taking... if you don't know whether the does have CL or CAE, you should plan to bottle feed them all and make sure they never nurse on their mothers. At least that way, you can give yourself a head start on making sure your kids don't end up with it. (it's passed through milk)

Last edited:
There are lots of goat people on here, as well as some wishing they had goats!
Echoing what everyone else has said, DO YOUR RESEARCH! There is a lot to learn, but if you take the time to read the forums, you can get questions answered that you didn't even know you had!

Back
Top Bottom