Any guess on this color chick?

cosmosue

Songster
Oct 1, 2016
SC
Well we started breeding quail and we started with 10 Coturnix brown and they all looked pretty much identical - they grew up and I have some breeders and there isn’t much color variation they all seem pretty much the same to me.

However, I had a small batch of eggs hatch a week or so ago, maybe 2 weeks now, and I noticed one had a black face well maybe not entire face just part of it - he didn’t look like the others!

So I’ve been waiting and now he looks even more different! It almost seems like his side feathers below the head are in reverse - Black with white scallop edge.

This is the only one I have like this. He also seems a bit more orange or red. He came from my own stock of Brown Coturnix.

First pic is very early on, the rest are from today.

Is he a bit of a mutant color or something? I’ve searched all over I can’t find anything I mean there is a million and one color variations so it’s a bit hard to research it.

Just curious what anyone else thinks of him? I think he’s adorable and gorgeous color with the black and white scallop feather pattern.

One of the pictures he is sleeping in his food bowl with a buddy. They are all so so so sweet. They are around people nearly 24/7 for now in my office. They get a ton of love lol I have 4 hens too but I think the quail have won my heart, same with my husband, we love our backyard hens but the quails are just I don’t know I can’t explain it they steal your heart and run away with it.

I have some Texas A&Ms in my Hovabator at the moment and 12 California Valley, waiting on another batch of Coturnix as well (any minute... any minute.... The ONLY adults I have right now are the Brown Coturnix - the other eggs are from other people.

Thanks!

Attachments

• F41F3830-987C-49BA-AA5B-ACC522B13380.jpeg
    F41F3830-987C-49BA-AA5B-ACC522B13380.jpeg
    468.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 9457A4B5-3984-473F-AA88-868A3334DA64.jpeg
    9457A4B5-3984-473F-AA88-868A3334DA64.jpeg
    423.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 3F187DF6-C19D-4E9B-9C51-10AADCAF57D2.jpeg
    3F187DF6-C19D-4E9B-9C51-10AADCAF57D2.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 938F5C32-1F4D-4134-B10F-3A7616743DCB.jpeg
    938F5C32-1F4D-4134-B10F-3A7616743DCB.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 09FC4B6E-76F8-49B3-A9A2-49D7F9F5F7A9.jpeg
    09FC4B6E-76F8-49B3-A9A2-49D7F9F5F7A9.jpeg
    418.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 966232F4-3107-4703-8833-7DEBC8952449.jpeg
    966232F4-3107-4703-8833-7DEBC8952449.jpeg
    449 KB · Views: 24
I think s/he might be a barred rosetta. They are very pretty.

The coturnix are adorably sweet and given lots of exposure to people are so friendly and docile. I keep them and Buttons. The Buttons are crazy wild as chicks but raised with some coturnix friends they do seem calmer. There's still a huge difference between the personality of the two species with the coturnix seeming to be naturally curious about people. I adore them too.

Yeah that is what I figured - I find it so interesting and I want to put every single egg I have in there to hatch LOL but I don’t have room for THAT many chicks so... into the fridge some go.

But I can’t help wonder “what did I miss out on???”

LOL hatch ALL THE THINGS!!!

Yeah that is what I figured - I find it so interesting and I want to put every single egg I have in there to hatch LOL but I don’t have room for THAT many chicks so... into the fridge some go.

But I can’t help wonder “what did I miss out on???”

LOL hatch ALL THE THINGS!!!
Right?!
I have all browns right now. So excited for my mixed colours to hatch out of the bator!

Right?!
I have all browns right now. So excited for my mixed colours to hatch out of the bator!
Yesssss

I’m literally sitting in front of my Janoel incubator waiting on 18 out of 20 (2 were duds the other 18 have pipped!)

Some should be unzipping any minute now..........

Those are browns.

Then I have another 40+ or so Texas A&M and a few Brown in the Hovabator behind me in my office, and 12 California Valley as well.......

Lol

Yesssss

I’m literally sitting in front of my Janoel incubator waiting on 18 out of 20 (2 were duds the other 18 have pipped!)

Some should be unzipping any minute now..........

Those are browns.

Then I have another 40+ or so Texas A&M and a few Brown in the Hovabator behind me in my office, and 12 California Valley as well.......

Lol
What?! So jelly! I’m only on day 7 lol
You must be a bator pro to get 18/20 pips! I have high hopes for this one! 48 set, 12 are mine the rest from a mixed colour flock.

This is only my 2-3rd batch lol the first batch was mostly new eggs from new hens that were not fertile so I only got 3 babies out of 20, 1 got stuck and didn’t make it out so it should have been 4, I fell asleep I could have helped him I felt terrible :(

Then my chicken sat on a few but I removed them at 2 weeks and put them in the Janoel incubator and 5 out of 6 were good the other was rotten so I tossed it, so I have 8 little ones currently in the brooder different ages lol I didn’t let the chicken hatch them because of bacteria so she just incubated them- it was an experiment.

Yeah then I saved up 20 for the Janoel 12 bator and yes waiting now watching for who will hatch first tonight! Lol! All these pups and all this wiggling come on guys!!!! Asrrgggff

There is an app called Hatchabatch I use to track them all, so I technically have 3 sets going right now all on different time lines ha!

I LOVE THEM!!!!
What?! So jelly! I’m only on day 7 lol
You must be a bator pro to get 18/20 pips! I have high hopes for this one! 48 set, 12 are mine the rest from a mixed colour flock.

This is only my 2-3rd batch lol the first batch was mostly new eggs from new hens that were not fertile so I only got 3 babies out of 20, 1 got stuck and didn’t make it out so it should have been 4, I fell asleep I could have helped him I felt terrible :(

Then my chicken sat on a few but I removed them at 2 weeks and put them in the Janoel incubator and 5 out of 6 were good the other was rotten so I tossed it, so I have 8 little ones currently in the brooder different ages lol I didn’t let the chicken hatch them because of bacteria so she just incubated them- it was an experiment.

Yeah then I saved up 20 for the Janoel 12 bator and yes waiting now watching for who will hatch first tonight! Lol! All these pups and all this wiggling come on guys!!!! Asrrgggff

There is an app called Hatchabatch I use to track them all, so I technically have 3 sets going right now all on different time lines ha!

I LOVE THEM!!!!
I’m using Hatchabatch this time as well! I love that it tells you what the egg is doing every day :)
I’m really hoping this hatch goes well for me! My last attempt all the eggs got scrambled. But the few lighter coloured ones I’ve candled seem to be developing this time :)
I’ve also got a few undeveloped, but I’ll probably just leave them all in just in case

Back
Top Bottom